Palm TX and LifeDrive SD or SDHC

Discussion in 'Palm' started by phoneguy69, Jun 26, 2011.

1. phoneguy69

phoneguy69 Newbie

Hey Guys
    Just bought a used TX and LifeDrive and I am trying to find out what the maximum size for SD cards?

I have a 1 G that both will read, but they don't seem to like the 8 G SD cards from my Book Reader? The manual just says it is compatible with SD and SDIO.

I am betting they accept up to 2G SD, but not SDHC of 4 or 8 or higher.
    Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I saw a post about a new driver for SDHC. Has anyone had luck with this?
    Thanks in advance

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2

These will SD only, not SDHC. When these units were introduced, there was a 4G SD card being made.

I never obtained one and stuck with the 2G SD cards I had purchased for my camera and the TX.

3. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

I believe both devices will handle up to a 2gig card natively if it is SD not SDHC . There is a couple of SD only 4gig cards that were reported to work. If your willing to pay out some money there is a commercial app that allows them to use SDHC cards. PowerSDHCPalmPowerups

4. Ixchel

Ixchel Mobile Consultant

The PowerUPs SDHC driver works great on the TX and Lifedrive so that they will allow use of much larger (than 2GB or 4GB) SHDC cards in them. Allows for much more memory storage (e.g. music, books, movies, etc). I highly recommend you get it ( PalmPowerups ). Well worth the money!

5. ptootill

ptootill Mobile Deity

One problem with the SDHC driver is that it stops the auto lock working. The developer told me that this was a feature of the Palm OS that couldn't be avoided. Might not be a problem for some but it was for me...

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

What do you mean by 'auto lock?'

I've procrastinated on getting the SDHC driver. I know I'm cheap and he worked hard on the app; but $20 seems high to me. I figure if he made it $10, he'd sell a whole lot more (especially if he'd done so when it came out). Now, there are just a few diehards like me around.

I got a few of those 4 GB SD cards very cheaply, so it hasn't been a real issue for me, and SDHC card prices haven't come down as much as I thought they would the last year or so. I did see a class 10, no name, 32 GB SDHC card somewhere for $37 though.

7. ptootill

ptootill Mobile Deity

By auto-lock, I mean the feature where the TX locks itself after a period and requires a password to use it again. I do it to keep prying eyes away from my personal information.

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

But you can turn off the Palm and it will lock, or does that not work either? But you're right, the timed-off function is nice.

9. ptootill

ptootill Mobile Deity

I can't honestly remember the details as it's while since I used it. I think it was only the auto function that was affected.

10. cyberqueen

cyberqueen Mobile Deity

I just wanted to echo what Ixchel has said about PalmPowerups. I bought it for my TX several years ago, and then also bought a 16 GB SDHC card on which I put a bunch of movies. Works very well. I especially appreciated it on long plane rides. (I used the past tense because about two years ago I bought a netbook for traveling, and I prefer to watch the movies on the netbook's somewhat larger screen. However, I still take my TX as well.)