Palm Tungsten E is frozen on the date page

Discussion in 'Palm' started by toboop75, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toboop75

toboop75 Mobile Enthusiast

I have a Tungsten E (Palm) and all of a sudden it is frozen on the time/date page, and it isn't even on the right time....I can't seem to do anything to turn it off, hot sync it, or recharging it? Is there anything that I can do? It is just FROZEN>>>>Please help!

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Welcome to Brighthand, toboop75! :)

Have you tried a reset -- poking the recessed reset button on the back of your TE?

EDIT: Hi, Nine! :)

Various reset instructions can be found here. Start with soft reset. If that doesn't work, try warm reset, followed by soft reset. Don't do a hard reset yet.

3. toboop75

well, i tried the soft and warm reset, and I think I did it wrong, I think I did a hard reset, however I didn't press the reset button for long just quickly and It kept shutting off when I did the quick tap...I never said to erase all info or did anything like it said for a hard reset.....do you know how I can get all my information back? Or if it is gone?

4. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Had you hotsync'd your unit to a PC prior to this event or ever?

It almost seems from your description the unit suffered some power fail, and did its own form of HARD Reset, as a manual control hard reset does not reset Date and Time, only a power fail or disconnect can cause such a memory clear.

Have you been able to change your date and time to your local settings?

If so then hotsync selecting the same user name you used previously, your data then will be restored

5. toboop75

Haven't hotsynced it since November.....been busy....so not a good excuse:(

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Just to clarify -- you didn't do the soft reset wrong if you just pushed the reset button on the back. Just push it, release it, and tell us what happened.

As far as a warm reset, you push the button in the back while holding the 'up' side of the 5-way nav. A hard reset is completely different, using the power button. Did you get them mixed up?

Please give us a step-by-step. Do you know what may have caused your T|E to freeze? When did it happen? Which reset methods have you tried and what steps did you use to reset the device?

More information, along with clearly described steps of what you've done, should help us to help you.

7. toboop75

I pressed the button in the back, and it showed the palm screen then shut off . did that a couple of times, and it kept doing the same thing. so I then pushed the up button and the quick tap on the reset button. Once the tap came on for the stylist, I did it, but it again shut off. I did that again and it asked me to reset the time so I did, then everything was gone? It happened this morning, not sure why, it was on the charger.

8. BAB2000

From the Home screen while in the charger, is the battery icon with lightning bolt displayed? This would indicate charge voltage is present. If not, possible the AC wall wart is not plugged into good AC source.

If you would not remain on after the reset, it is acting as if the battery is drained.

When was the last you used your TE?

Sorry to learn of the neglect to hotsync, not much can be done but recover you to the November hotsync.

9. toboop75

I used it yesterday, does this mean that I did do a hard reset and have lost everything?

10. BAB2000

Hard reset is intentional requiring three steps.

From your original description of being in the Date/Time menu, and the setting not correct to your local, I suspect a power failure internal the unit, or battery drain. This is the only method I have known the date and time to reset to the factory default. (Pacific time zone).

As you described the short duration that the display would remain on post a soft reset or warm reset, indicated the battery is not fully charged. when attempting to preserve memory, the unit will only permit the display on for a 1 or 2 count at most.

Again, the time being different than expected indicates something happen draining the battery.

The TE is about 4 years of age? It is possible if you have good battery charge icon in th ecradle but not receiving a charge, the battery's charge circuit has failed.

To correctly confirm, perform a Soft Reset while in the cradle, connected to good charge source, and allow to complete a 4 hour charge cycle. If yet in same state, replacement battery is suggested.

If now good, it is possible an alarm or another app froze the unit ON, and drained the battery, and then not inserted correctly to the charger caused more woes.

This is a TE, is the charge cable separate of the sync cable? It a single pin type config, confirm the internal pin is yet present, not broken. This has occurred to others before.

I do believe this model can charge via the USB sync cable. It was released the same time as the T3, and the T3 was the first model that support USB charge function. I believe a USB charge cable is available but it splits at the device and connects power to the normal single pin hole. That is the config of my Z31 model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.