Palm Treo 755p: HotSync fine with Mac OS6 till replacement 755p issued

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by woodlark, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodlark

woodlark Newbie

Hi all,
    Can someone here help? Palm support even at Level 2 just gives me the party line (that the Treo is not supported in Mac OS6), and couldn't care less about actual troubleshooting with me.

I've used a verizon Treo 755p for years. (Other carriers don't work where I live.) Intel Mac with OS6, and I use MS Office for Mac 2004, with Entourage conduits, to HotSync my crucial calendar & address book data. NO PROBLEM with Snow Leopard, ever, despite Palm's cutting its hardware loose from OS6. The MS program seems to have acted like a separate little kingdom within the OS.

Now: Had to replace Treo thru my Asurion phone insurance. Replacement 755p syncs with all other data but Entourage, my most essential stuff. Within Entourage conduits, tried both "MacIntosh overrides handheld," and my default "Synchronize" settings. No error or conduit conflict message with either; Hot Sync looks normal (though brief for a first sync): the data just doesn't move to the phone. Asurion sent me a Centro (with same Palm OS) when Treo wouldn't work. Same result. Newer Palm devices are flimsy pieces of cr*p, IMHO.

I've tried also disabling Entourage conduits temporarily, opening Palm Desktop & activating its conduits. I have Palm desktop's elderly but most recent version. This also always worked as an extra backup for data. This time, even taking functions one by one, I get a conduit conflict error. Including while on phone with Palm support. I asked them whether reinstalling Desktop app might have any effect. They say no.

Tech support is a broken record: "we don't support your device with Snow Leopard, although occasionally a HoySync might work." It ALWAYS worked, till the physical phone was changed to one of the same model. Anyone have a troubleshooting insight?

Otherwise I'll be carrying two phones, one for phoning and one for all the data, till that prayed-for, rumored day when Verizon gets the iPhone!

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Sorry I can't help with Entourage. Hopefully someone will come along and get you up and going with that.

I would like to recommend you get a copy of NVBackup. You can use it to back up your entire 755p (data, apps, and settings) onto a memory card. NVBackup is free, and I believe the link in my signature is still working.

3. woodlark

woodlark Newbie

Thanks! Went to site - link works - but it doesn't specify whether it's a windows or mac program. I have an Intel mac, just need to know which "side" to use it on :)

4. jigwashere

NVBackup is a Palm OS application. It runs on your device and backs it up to your external memory card. NVBackup won't solve your current issue, though.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

welconme to Brighthand, woodlark

just taking a guess, here, as I'm windows-only experienced, but if the new 755 hasn't been hotsynced (obviously), then it has no username; I suspect that may be the problem, although, logically it shouldn't be.

you say carrying 2 phones, one for the data; that means the 'original' 755p still works as a PDA, yes? in that case, NVBackup will let you transfer *all* your data to the new 755p. if you don't have a miniSD(HC) card, don't bother trying to find one, instead, go for a micro, with a mini-adapter. if that works, then I *think* the essential "hi, I'm a 755p and this is who I am" info will also transfer -- i.e., your username and the user ID (Palm Desktop associates the username with the user ID, to make it easy for people to have an idea of what is going on; it actually uses the user ID to do the syncing/other stuff, not the username).

after you do a backup via NVBackup on the old 755p, take out the card and put it in the new 755p, and after installing NVBackup do a restore (not selective restore vai the menu). hopefully, that'll put things right. fwiw, my 2¢ is that the 755p (I have the Sprint flavor) is one of the best; also like the Sprint Centro -- I use them as PDAs with keyboards and incredibly good outdoors displays.

6. woodlark

woodlark Newbie

Hi Rick - thanks so much for all the good info. It'll take me a while to digest the instructions for doing the file transfer right, so I don't mess up the data. And I need to get a new card. But will definitely try it.

Yes, the old Treo has all my data, & it still syncs fine with my Mac, just can't be used as a phone anymore, and the keypad has been fritzing out for months.

Verizon was able to IR-download my 4100 contacts into the new Treo (took forever at store), but minus many details and any Categories. Oy. 4100 free-floating records. Here's an odd detail: I added a specific test contact to the mac and another one to the replacement Treo, did one of the many syncs I've tried, and both those NEW contacts showed up on both devices. But new Treo did not pick up any more info about contacts, and the contact part of the sync was very quick.

So, about User ID: the new Treo has been sync'ed (has accepted all the 3rd party apps/data just fine, only Entourage is the problem) which means it also picked up my old Treo's User ID. I've wondered if Palm & Verizon techs were wrong when I asked them if I needed to create a new user ID for the new 755p. They said no. I followed their advice, but do you think a new user ID might work? Or lose me the contact info I DO have in there now?

(I won't keep batting this ball back to you -- you must have a life! --but you really seem to know your way around the Treo stuff.) Thanks again.

7. jigwashere

I didn't realize your old Treo was still alive and kicking. NVBackup might be a very good solution to your current situation. Make a full backup of your old device onto a memory card, plop it into the new Treo, do a full restore, and you should be good to go. I recommend backing up your Mac before proceeding, though.

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

jigwashere is much more expert, w.r.t. Treo's than I am, but thanks, of course. I think you are right to hesitate, regarding a new username/userID. sorry I don't know more (anything!) about Entourage, it's probably something simple (for me, it seems I always spend a ton of time, and then check the old "it couldn't be this, could it?" and that solves the issue) -- not saying that you've not checked, just relating my experiences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.