Palm Treo 700p Update for Verizon Users Available from Verizon Stores Only

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Antoine Wright, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Moderator Super Moderator

<!-- Generated by XStandard version 1.7.1.0 on 2007-07-08T12:23:06 --><p>Reports from various users are saying that the Palm Treo 700p Maintenance Release (MR) which is available for Sprint customers is also now available for Verizon Wireless customers, but only by visiting a Verizon Wireless store and requesting the update. </p><p>This system software update offers a long list of improvements to this smartphone, especially in the area of Bluetooth networking.</p><p>Service technicians at the stores administer the update in a 20 to 30 minute process, and users receive their device back with the firmware updated to version 1.10 -- similar to the Sprint Treo 700p update. According to some users, the update is being done via the SD card method. </p><p>This update procedure seems to be in place because Verizon is looking to mitigate issues where users who tried to perform this update themselves have bricked their devices, and have to go through a complex process with Verizon and Palm to have the units replaced.</p><p><strong>Where to Find It</strong></p><p>According to reports, not all Verizon stores have this update. Users have reported that calling 6-1-1 and asking for the Palm Treo 700p Maintenance Release Update and the location of stores which are providing this update will merit results.</p><p>At this time, there has been no official word about the MR update for the Treo 700p from Palm itself.</p><p><strong>Related Articles</strong></p><ul>

Software Update for Sprint Treo 700p Released Yet Again

<p><em>Via Treo Central</em></p><p><script src="http://www.Brighthand.com/assets/1272.js"></script></p>
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  2. Mr. Steve

Mr. Steve Newbie

On 07-10-07 I spoke with Verizon Wireless technical support regarding this maintenance release update by calling 611. According to tech. support there is no MR update as of yet. They claim any treo OS software update would come from Palm and they have yet to receive an update.
    I checked with a Verizon Wireless retail store in the Twin Cities, MN area which has a tech. support unit with service technicians. They claim they are only installing the MR update on brand new issued treo phones and that I should call their tech. support people at 1-800-922-0204 for clarification, which I did.
    What gives? Is this info. accurate or not?
  3. Antoine Wright

The info is accurate as reported. However, your best bet would be going to the store that you called that did have the MR update and getting it done there.

Even now, this is not yet full plublic knowledge. It seems that this is a good bit on the viral side of things until any major issues could be ironed out. I would expect that if enough successful updates happen in this manner that either VZW would shoot out a service message, or that Palm would post instructions for the update, or both.
  4. LLipton

LLipton LLipton

My experience is precisely the same as Mr. Steve's. I'm in Houston, TX and went to the nearby corportate store and was told that they only upgrade phones in inventory. She further cautioned my that even if they did do it, my phone would be entirely erased after which I explained that it's backed up. My call to tech support was met with the answer that there is no upgrade yet.
    Interesting was that the young lady at the Verizon store told me that she "knew" that folks had been successful in downloading the update from the Verizon website. I challeneged her to find it on the computer in front of her and she was unable blaming the spcial display that the website provides in the stores.... Goodness! :)
  5. DanDiego

DanDiego Newbie

I ran the update on my 700P and it ended up crashing the phone side completely. Hard resets did nothing. I took it to a local Verizon store and ran another hard reset with the up-arrow pressed, which recovered the Palm side, but the phone still would not work. Verizon is shipping a replacement 700P overnight. Their tech support guy said they already had 3 or 4 reports of the upgrade crashing the 700Ps since the email went out a few days earlier.
  6. bkaplan

bkaplan Newbie

I updated on July 17 and have had problems ever since. First the phone wouldn't work, then after 90 minutes with tech support, finally got that to work. But the broadband still wouldn't work. After another hour, several hard and soft resets AGAIN, we got it to work, MOST of the time. Have called back several times, the reps originally reported that they hadn't heard my complaints from anyone else (I still get data connection error 3000 about a third of the time I try to connect). I have 2 clients with Verizon 700p. The two of them that used the updater have identical problems to mine. Finally, earlier this week, a Verizon tech rep admitted my issue is common and that they are working with Palm to patch the update. He said ETA is within a month. I WOULD NOT USE THE UPDATE TO v1.1, its not worth it. Wait till 1.11 or whatever comes next
  7. Antoine Wright

Yea, there have been a good deal of people who have issue with this update. There really seems to have been a lot different with the development of the 700p that made for all of these problems. Hopefully a newer ROM release can get the 700p users up and running with a very well working device.

Unfortunately, I think that the fall out of this is that many are leaving the 700p devices for either 700wx Treos or other WM models. Hopefully Palm and VZW can really move on this next update.
  8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Moderator Super Moderator

It's unfortunate that Verizon hasn't gotten this sorted out. Sprint had one issue with it's first 700p update, pulled it, and then quickly pushed out a final update. I've not heard of problems since then.