Palm Pre Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Ahhh ... I see! ;)

2. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

IM+SMS is a very cool feature. I think Palm bundles it in with Symmetry, and like the other features it collects data coming from different sources into one area.

You can reply to any of the different sources in the appropriate way, too. If you're having a discussion via AIM and the person you're talking to shuts down their PC, you can switch to SMS from within the same application, just by picking it from a drop-down box.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I don't recall anyone commenting on the Pre's proximity sensor that dims the screen when you put the phone up to your face (such as when on a call). Sounds like a cool feature. Is there any other use for the proximity sensor?

The Pre also has a light sensor to dim the display when the ambient light is low. Does that work well, or would you rather control that manually?

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

5. Chris-T3

Chris-T3 Newbie

6. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

This isn't a new feature; nor one that other mobiles with and without touchscreens haven't had for *years.* Mentioning something like this only makes for a passing mention to those who either didn't know their mobiles had this ability; or those totally new to mobile devices...

...other uses depend on whether the APIs for the sensor are able to be utilized. For example, Nokia's Symbian S60 devices released since early last year have had the ability to use both the accelerometer and proximity sensors for a gesture-based action (flipping and/or tapping the mobile) to snooze alarms and pickup/hangup voice calls.

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I was hoping for an app that would shout out to people when they started to invade my personal space. :D

8. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Proximity and ambient light sensors are not on every device, so mentioning them is also a way to say they ARE on this one. AFAIK, the TP1 (which was a high-end phone) had no prox sensor, but the TP2 does.

I suspect that, in addition to the accelerometer, the Touch Pro2 makes use of its ambient light sensor and proximity sensor for the face-down-turns-on-speakerphone functionality. I believe the normal proximity sensor would be infrared based (I've heard of capacitative and sonar too), and I read that the TP2 uses that to avoid accidental screen activation--I'm not sure when that comes into play, maybe if the TP2 is in a bag and there's a button press?

I wonder if a mood-ring-like program would work, if the prox detector were in fact infrared and sensitive enough to detect changes in skin temperature if the skin were close enough...

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Hold the phone to your forehead and take your temp? Next they'll add urine powered batteries that will also check your health. :D :p

10. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

Oh yeah, also the TP2 uses the ambient light sensor to illuminate hardware keys and the keyboard when it gets dark. I assume this works in concert with the prox sensor (so it doesn't light up the keyboard when the phone is against your face).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.