Palm Pre Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

QF, the problem may be a legal one. I don't think Apple is going to stand for what looks like clear deception (the Pre 'pretends' to be an iPod by using the distinctive USB ID). If it is as simple as you imply, wouldn't almost EVERY MP3 player and device spoof the iPod and iTunes software? The procedure isn't technically complex, it's the legality of it.

2. PDAMad

PDAMad Mobile Deity

I'd like to meet the dev who could write an application to light an LED that doesn't exist! Yet again Palm have skimped on a feature that many would see as essential, especially on a phone designed for messaging.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

I noticed the general "silence" too. I would have assumed that the Brighthand community would be leading the crowd for excitement for the new Pre. I have never personally liked it the Pre, or webOS, based on preliminary reviews, and the Brighthand review (although excellent) certainly added little to what was already known.

If the Pre was released last year, or just after the iPhone, it could have been a huge success. It seems a little "dated" already. But the biggest detractor for me is the keyboard.... I'm not hearing good things about it.

4. Alfa

Alfa PDA Driver

On the Pre there are 2 white leds under the gesture area that blink when you move your finger on that area so a developer may use these leds.

5. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

The general silence in this forum certainly isn't matched the ruckus in Twitter, where the Palm Pre was a top trending topic for at least two days. That includes the "moron" twit where a person deliberately broke his iPhone after buying the Pre. Its very difficult for a phone to be a top trending topic in Twitter---the iPhone can the N97 won't.

There are floods of reviews out there, and frankly the general state of the product and its software is outstanding for a first day, 1.0 release. The integrated 1M + SMS is wonderful, and the 3D page tasking manager is the most intuitive I've seen of any task managers. The reviews now include the the Pre able to handle as much as 12 to 18 applications at one time with little performance deterioration. As for the keyboard, according to reviews its not any worst than that of the Treo and in some ways even better with a slight clicky feel.

Given the general reception of the public and the press, the launch can be considered a huge success. The talk from Twitter is that at least 50,000 units may have been sold across the weekend.

The general conclusion now, heading to Apple's WWDC tomorrow, is that this is going to put definite pressure on Apple to reveal the new iPhone.

6. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

What's 1M+SMS?

7. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

I got the impression not allot of Brighthanders got one, I have only heard of a few anyway. That would explain the generally quietness here and the hubub everywhere else. I personally am not switching to Sprint (I have a 50mb data plan for $9.99), but if it was on Tmo I would get one after a few weeks of it being out. I am not a stand in line kind of guy, and I don't think many Brighthanders are either. I could be wrong, it is just an observation.....

8. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Ed (or anyone else with a Pre):
    Can the multiplie-Exchange account support be verified?

9. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

A significant percentage of Brighthand's forum users are fans of the Palm TX, and aren't interested in getting a smartphone, no matter who makes it. This cuts down quite a bit on their enthusiasm about the Palm Pre. I'm hoping that the article I just published about companies making desktop sync software for the webOS (see here) will bring some of these people around.

I'd like to point out that the forums are just one facet of this site, and there is huge interest in any news article written about the Pre. My review is rapidly approaching 10,000 reads, even though it hasn't yet been on the site for 3 days, and (due to circumstances beyond my control) was published several days after the first reviews hit the Web.

The Brighthand community is showing plenty of excitement about this model, even if some of the forum users are not.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

Basically the Palm Pre does something like this:

(SMS) Ann: Hey look I'm going to switch Yahoo now
    Ann (Y!): Here I am! Now trying out AIM.
    Ann (AIM): Here I am! Going to Windows Live.
    Ann (MSN): Here I am!

At least you get the picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.