Palm Pre Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I wish I could remember where I read this...but supposedly any device can hook into iTunes that way, and many mp3 players have that ability. So Apple would have to lock out other mp3 players, just lock out Palm, or suck it up. It's likely that for now they'll suck it up (IMO), because if other devices are using that same ability the last thing Apple wants is to be slapped with a lawsuit from Palm and 6 other companies all *****ing about anti-trust or something. That could lead to further deregulation of iTunes and a loosening of Apple's controls. Good for us, bad for Apple.

True...but if you go back and re-read Mossberg's review of the original iPhone, several of his complaints are JUST getting fixed (cut and paste, universal search)...Flashback to Mossberg's iPhone review. Not sure if that really means much...just pointing out that if you handed Mossberg the iPhone today, without prior knowledge, many of his same complaints would still stand (until OS 3.0).

2. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

I have run into take-apart directions and photos for the Pre here.

Of interest are the chips used:
    Texas Instruments CPU TWL5030B/ 94A20PW C
    Elpida K2132C1PB-60-F/ 09100N024
    Samsung 910 KMCMG0000M-B998, 8GB NAND memory for storage is suspected.

And "the LCD and capacitive touchscreen are permanently glued together. This means if either goes bad or is damaged, both must be replaced

Currently we have not found a way to separate the LCD from the digitizer. Looks like people will be paying for both parts if one should fail."

IIRC, the Pre's documentation says that it can't be disassembled. Hah!

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

It's unusual for the LCD and the touchscreen to be glued together...wonder if it was for stability or price.

4. lorsban

lorsban Mobile Deity

Not bad for 1st gen. As a Palm junkie, I couldn't be happier. This looks to be one great device and the wife and I can't wait for an unlocked gsm version to be available. By then, most bugs would have already been worked out since it's said gsm unlocked will be available next year still.

Most probably, by then, cdma will have a 16gb version and soon after they'll release a low internal memory webOS phone but with an expansion slot. Seems like a logical product map to me, anyway, the Pre's about showcasing webOS, not about showcasing hardware like what most other companies are doing.

5. lorsban

lorsban Mobile Deity

6. Alfa

Alfa PDA Driver

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Wow! Pay $$ for local sync when I can do the same thing through Google for free? Give me Google.

8. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Or iTunes!!!:D <Sorry couldn't resist>

9. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

If you're Windows based, you'll have to. Missing Sync is Mac only.

10. Alfa

Alfa PDA Driver

I don't think you can sync bookmarks, video, songs, ringtones with google. You can do it with itunes if Apple doesn't "fix" it. Anyway I don't like the idea to keep all my private data on a google server. And when I'm abroad some roaming charges only to sync are more expensive than 40$. And usb/wi-fi sync is much faster if you are not under umts (for europeans like me) coverage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.