Palm Pre Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

This is headline News. The sticky will be the closed thread announcement of this review in the Palm Pre forum. ;)

2. SeanH

SeanH Mobile Deity

Based on all the excitement on this thread this phone is going to be a dud. Not one person claimed they will be first in line to try to get a Pre.

3. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

You're consistent, I'll give you that :)

Do Want. I had more or less resigned myself to Palm exercising Apple-esque control over apps. It'd be great if there were easy ways around Palm and the Carrier as gatekeepers (without an endless/risky jailbreaking war).

4. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

I'm quite impressed with all the reviews of the device I've seen. It's not perfect but it moved a lot right out of the get go. Very few devices are as complete or as well thought out coming out from the day it was launched. Very impressive for Day 1 on a totally new platform.

5. Alfa

Alfa PDA Driver

I'm also impressed with all the reviews I've read and considering it's a completely new device. Let's hope that this Palm's renaissance will continue!
    Now an important question for europeans. When it's coming to Europe? No news? :mad:

6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

If I am recalling correctly, the iPhone had similar reviews when it came out: overall great, nits on software and hardware. It's a very good sign for Palm that the Pre is getting similar "mostly thumbs way up" reviews.

As for keyboard complaints...remember how much Walt Mossberg complained about the iPhone keyboard in his review? The more things change...

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

So far, I haven't found an answer on Palm's support site.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

right on! it seems like the only real negative is that Palm just did not have the cash to make a bazillion ready for today. I'm hoping to go play with one or at least jog down to a store to feel the buzz! :newpalm:

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

At the risk of being lumped in with SeanH as a doubter, the Pre pretty much is what I expected:

1. The WebOS is impressive. I think everyone came to expect this.

2. The hardware seems a bit underwhelming, in the sense that it matches (and in some cases falls short of) most of what' s out there now. Memory capacity is on the low side, the keyboard is average with some strengths and some weaknesses, and the 'orientation' is probably less desirable for most users.

3. I'm particularly surprised that the video performance is weak. Other than Flash, the ability to play most files is pretty much a given now, isn't it? I'd love to find out more about this: is it the file format itself? The encoder software used? etc.

4. I am virtually certain that the iTunes 'emulator' will not last long. From what I understand, the Pre 'pretends' to be a 5 GB iPod by falsely labelling its ports. I question how long that can stand.

5. I'd also like to hear more about the construction of the device. I get that it's nice to hold (it was designed to be like a 'river stone' after all); but word has been varied on this.

6. I also agree with SeanH that every phone should have quick access to those (and a few other functions like volume). It's like these cars that have iDrive or COMAND: I want direct-access hardware buttons for some essential functions.

7. I haven't heard Ed come out strongly on the memory issue before. I'm glad to hear it, because I think it's incomprehensible that they were so stingy to begin with. I also think that the lack of card slot and video cam is incomprehensible. I know Apple's reasons (don't agree though); but if the Pre is going to be more open, card access shouldn't be limited.
    It seems to me that if this phone had been released a year ago, it would be a big hit; but their target is moving and likely to advance beyond this very shortly. Unless of course the Synergy aspect is very important to you, which seems the Pre's strongest suit.

NB: Alfa, I've read that 02 has already been selected as the UK carrier for the first GSM Pre. It sounds like it won't really be a long wait, maybe 6 months or so.

QF, I think you're right; but the difference is that Palm had the advantage of seeing 2 gens. of iPhones and STILL made some big mistakes (IMO). Matching something from a year or 2 years ago isn't that impressive.

10. _Q_

_Q_ mobile tech consultant

Palm does have the ringer switch at the top. Yes, flexibility is nice, at least for power users, and I'm sure we'll see a 3rd-party app if nothing else to set profiles.

I remember reading when the Treo Pro launched (where the Palm logo on the navigator lights up to indicate voicemail) that apparently most Palm users got confused by different colors and what means what, according to some survey they did. So again, they're going for simplicity out of the box and let's hope devs can create some options for power users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.