Palm Pre Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

The most eagerly-awaited phone of the year is finally here: Sprint is releasing the Palm Pre.

This device marks the debut of the webOS, whichmany are expecting to become a majorforce in the smartphone market. At this point it's too early to say how this is going to play out, but I can say that so far it's looking very good for Palm and Sprint.

Read the full content of this Article: Palm Pre Review

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. ro_bro

ro_bro tech geek in denial

I didn't even think about this, but this is a very good point! It's a big detractor for me. I'm deliberating on whether to wait it out, or to ditch my SERO and go for it. I might just wait a couple of months - my centro's chugging along fine for now.

3. harpgliss

harpgliss Mobile Deity

Hi,

Nice review and the first not to mention the "I" word once during the review.

I had read elsewhere of DocumentsToGo just being a view only version, if this is accurate I was surprised it was not mentioned in your review.

Also, did the phone feel sturdy to you? I know you mention that "It sits very comfortably in my palms" but no real mention of sturdiness.

David

4. SeanH

SeanH Mobile Deity

Two things that should be mandatory on every cell phone released since 2005

1) The ability to change the phone profile. Example: Normal, Silent, Vibrate and Loud.

2) An indictor light to notify the user that there is new information. It’s ok to have one single color LED to notify for missed calls, voicemail, text message or new email message. An advanced phone should blink different colors for the different items.

This should apply to all new cell phones not just Smartphone’s.

SeanH

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I'm curious to know more about the Pre's app store and whether it's possible to install applications without going through it.

6. harpgliss

harpgliss Mobile Deity

Hi,

Good questions, me too.

I had heard yes to the second part of your post but cannot remember where I read it.

David

7. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Deity

Part two will have programs added? Looks like you've only got one day head start in reviewing the Pre. I suppose anyone reviewing the Pre will have to start their own thread?

Looks like this review has taken place in Atlanta. Will you be reviewing the GPS of Pre for that area? I wonder if you are going to report the billing plan that you also signed up with?

8. Ed Hardy

I remember Palm telling me that you can, but I don't remember how it's done. I'll do some research.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. Ed Hardy

I had to write this on very short notice, but I wanted to get it out before the launch. I think I hit all the most important features, but I'm going in and adding additional sections as time permits.

I'm also going to be writing separate articles about third-party software as it is released.

Anyone who gets a Pre is more than welcome to write up their first impressions of it in our forum dedicated to this smartphone:
    http://forum.brighthand.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1363

I'm happy to answer your questions, but this isn't really a feature that merits a great deal of attention. The version of GoogleMaps that's on the Pre has close to the same functionality as the ones for the other mobile platforms, and its database of POIs is the same as you'd find on the GoogleMaps website.

Sprint loaned me a device for this review, so I didn't sign up for service. But there's not much variation in the plans, as Sprint requires Pre buyers to get one of its "Everything" plans with unlimited data.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Don't forget to make this thread a Sticky! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.