Palm Pre Plus Search

Discussion in 'Palm' started by anastasia, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anastasia

anastasia Mobile Enthusiast

I just got my Palm Pre Plus on AT&T, purchased the Palm-recommended CompanionLink software to load it with my 20 years (seriously!) of Palm OS data, and just found out this morning (when I couldn't figure it out myself) by reading the Palm forum Palm Pre--Where is the Universal Search Feature? - Palm Support Community that it doesn't have a full search capability like the old Palm PDAs had.

I left a developer suggestion, but in the meantime, does anyone have ideas on how to back-door a search function on the device? I noticed that in the Palm thread someone suggested downloading a Google Calendar app as a good work-around, but since the poster mentioned synching through Google and I'm doing a Palm Desktop / USB synch via CompanionLink instead, I'm a bit nervous to try.

So far, pretty thrilled with the phone!

Also: Found out yesterday that there's a known bug whereby one cannot transfer messages back into their e-mail Inbox once they move messages out of it. Does anyone know where to see a list of known bugs...so that I don't have to "discover" them on my own? (Palm's online Live Chat feature seems to have issues today, and didn't want to have to call.)

Thanks!

2. Stirling

Stirling Packets in, packets out

Precentral.net has a wealth of information on the pre and a very active developer community hangs out there. If what you want to do with your phone isn't possible as it sits, there is very likely a homebrew solution that makes it possible. I've loaded preware on my phone and added several of the homebrew apps, and some patches that really have it customized to be exactly what I want. I know there are quite a few patches available that modify what universal search looks for.
    Glad you're liking your new Pre.

3. tmedvick

tmedvick Guy Smiley

If you don't want your info synched to the Google, I'm afraid your options may
    be limited. It is unfathomable and flat-out idiotic that Palm did not include calendar in their search (and I love my Pre). If you are not averse to your info being on the net, I believe you could sync the phone to a google calendar account and then use the Google Account Search app.

As Stirling said, Precentral.net is an amazing resource here. I really recommend opening your phone up for homebrew. Excepting overclocking and tethering, nothing about homebrew threatens your warranty or your phone.

As far as a bug list, I don't know of a decent readable list. I have found the current version (1.4.x) very stable. I am able to move an email out of and back to my inbox, but it may be a different style account in your case (I am on gmail). The bigger problem with WebOS is the immature OS has lacks like the calendar search.

Also, Palm has a way of introducing bugs with larger releases (1.4) then fixing them with a quick follow-up release: (1.4.1).

4. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

This is on my Top 3 reasons I can't get a Pre list. Why (other than to flat out lie) they would call this Universal Search is beyond me. It's not even worthy of "Search" it is simply "Contact Search". Full PIM search is essential for me. If I just called a couple people, texted, and listened to music I could live with this, but I live by the Tasks and Calendar apps on my Palm devices. I also carry over a thousand Memos that can be up to a couple of screens long.

It took me a while to get used to the decreased functionality of the stock search on the 755p because FindHack and (my favorite) FindWiz no longer worked. Boolean searches with many options and it searched every pdb I chose. ""Classic" is the only savior for me at this time, but I don't want to do that.

What blows my mind every time I check is that nobody else has written a real search app for WebOS. Could the OS be that uncooperative? Sheesh...

Come on Palm, give us a real PIM search. If you're good maybe you will deliver a "Universal Search". ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.