Palm Pre-Announces the Centro Smartphone

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I'm fairly certain Palm will introduce a Treo with Wi-Fi this fall, but -- like all the other smartphones with Wi-Fi -- it won't sell for $99 at launch.

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

I guess Palm has been kinda favoring Sprint these last few phones, so perhaps the wifi model will come out for Verizon. So much for escaping my contract :newpalm: I would consider the $99 model for one of the kids, but I'd rather give them my old Treo 650 when I get the Treo 802.11p :D

3. Bigtop

Bigtop Mobile Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the new generation of Palm phone/pda's will continue to have Irda ports (Infra red ports)?

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

T-Mobile advertises their Wi-Fi so much because they do not have any 3G service. Who in their right mind would want a phone stuck on a slow speed.

Don't forget - this is a Sprint CDMA phone, with 3G EV-DO service. Wi-Fi is very limited in area, VS being able to browse while on the move.

5. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I would doubt it. IR is an increasingly marginalized technology.

People like me who are never going to have 3G within the next ten years; office workers who can't get a signal inside their building; anyone who wants to connect to a private network without their data flowing over the internet. ;)

6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Ok, well, I meant for those that have the T-Mo hotspot availability, this plan is obviously going to be a hit. For those that don't have it, it's quite clear to take the slower option, vs having nothing at all. :eek:

I can see IR sticking around for a while longer. The most recent Treos still have IR. For that, I'm thankful, as that's the only way my TE can communicate with it. Old yes, but it's still useful.

7. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

ok, now from the land of those things where my opinnion is way to late to mean anything:

I look at this device and think that despite its size its a good play. But there are some design things that I really am peeved about. For example, there is too much "case" around the screen. ANd the screen is as recessed as currnet Treos are. While I understand the layer for the tdigitizer, it just seems like there could have been a better use of the space here. I would have liked to see the number keys to be a bit larger than the other keys (despite the feel, it would make it easier to train muscle memory). This is what the 680 probably should have been, but then I wonder about the battery life for this and whether it is good enough for EVDO usage.

I still think making a new model line is not a smart thing. There must be something in the Treo name that Palm wants to get away from. Probably the recent quality issues, but I'm not sure. I don't see people calling this a Centrno much. They'll call it a Treo. Maybe this could have been the Treo Cxx series. That just seems a bit better than Centreno ya know.

I'm hoping for an updated VersaMail and Blazer on this, but thinking only that the former and not the latter will happen.

Just had a thought, wonder if this line will be all Garnet devices and the Treo lineup will be Palm Linux devices. Uhmm, in that case this does make sense, but there better be a Palm Linux model soon after to keep the peception rolling.

8. PatrickS

PatrickS Gadget Magnet

Why are people impressed with the $99 price? This is a "with contract" price, isn't it? Hasn't the 680 been given away for free with contract?

9. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Yep, I pointed this out earlier, welcome to the club. People don't like to discuss facts in an emotional debate.:p

10. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Think of it this way. When the Treo 680 debuted, it wasn't free with contract. If I remember correctly, it was about $200. So that figure serves as a sort of base price, which lets us compare the cost of these two smartphones on an equal basis: a launch the 680 was a bit more expensive than the Centro will supposedly be at its launch.

And the "base price" serves another purpose. It's the generally most you can expect to pay for this device with a two-year contract.

And if you go to Palm.com or AT&T.com right now, many months after its launch, the 680 isn't free with contract, it's $200. But if this report is correct, you'll be able to buy the Centro directly from the source for at most $99 even on the day it debuts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.