Palm Pre-Announces the Centro Smartphone

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Ditching the Treo name was a smart move in my opinion. It's synonymous with corporate users, and generally means something similar to the BlackBerry to many people. This would have little draw to the first time user.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

As an owner of a Palm TX, one of the frustrations I had when searching for a new cell phone was that I had trouble finding one that would sync well with my PIM data (as well as function as a decent phone with a decent plan). I wasn't in the market for a converged device, didn't want to spend much money, and hoped for something at least as small as my current phone.

In the end, I became very frustrated and purchased a Treo 755p. I really like the device, but had there been a smaller, cheaper option with a Palm OS, I think I would've taken it and kept using my Palm TX as my primary pda.

I think the Centro could have potential appeal to both business and casual users.

Do you think the Centro will work with the Foleo? I do.

3. Technofetishist

Technofetishist Mobile Evangelist

man does that keyboard look like the pits!

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Mobile Deity

I just want to see anyone with hands larger than a 6 year old typing on that puppy. Like I said before, it looks like they took the Pearl and cut each key in half to separate the letters. As for the comment about 160x160, that would be suicide in this day and age, so I hope they don't go there.

5. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

The cheapest I have found is $29.95usd on their website, they may have raised their price. :confused:

6. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

The Treo680 was free with 2 year contract, still is online, but BH reported the price as $199usd with contract ($169usd sometimes).

7. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

I hope it comes in Hot Pink :newpalm:

8. all74

all74 Mobile Consultant

As far as the screen goes, I've been told that the "spy" video (now removed from YouTube) suggested 320x320. I really hope that that is correct.

I actually kind of like the overall look of the thing, but in such a small form factor I would have gone with a standard keypad and predictive text. The "kids" are used to that and if you included on-screen writing capabilities the rest of us could live with it too. A miniscule QWERTY keyboard doesn't really seem to fit either demographic.

Really sad to think that another model is coming out from Palm that will likely lack wifi. This isn't a "power user" spec anymore - look at the new ads from T-Mobile about wifi calling from home. "Kids" get that voip = less $$ for more talking/texting/surfing. Is Garnet really incapable of handling cell+wifi signals at the same time?

9. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Full QWERTY is a lot cheaper for Palm to implement from an OS point of view.
    None of the current PalmOS devices has T9 or alike, so that would be a complete new development.
    If the full keyboard costs them more or less the same as a T9 keyboard, the choice is quickly made.

There is no way PalmOS can reliably handle AND cell phone AND WiFi (AND BlueTooth ??). Therefor this option is also excluded for the WM version (since they use the same platform).
    Besides, I doubt the price point of $99 would have been feasible if WiFi was to be included.

10. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

From past indications, yes. Of course, that's hard to determine for sure, as Palm seems allergic to WiFi in general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.