Palm Pre-Announces the Centro Smartphone

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I'm thankful that it is CDMA. That's Palm's only choice for 3G right now, until Palm OS II comes out. If you want YouTube, and other teen / college oriented content, you've got to have the bandwidth to support it.

2. all74

all74 Mobile Consultant

Prediction - this will use the z22's screen. 160x160 resolution.

Palm is not well known for giving high-end goodies on low-end models. This has all the feel of a mobilized z-series device.

Hope I'm wrong on that.

3. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

If I were Palm, I'd be very hesitant to start trying to go after the low-end market. They're already seeing diminishing profit margins due to competition, despite rising sales.

4. all74

all74 Mobile Consultant

May be true... They did really nail the low-end PDA market with the Zire. But, phones are a very different story. They're competing with razrs and such that have some pim/multimedia functionality, but likely cost way less to make than a typical treo. That's why I'm thinking low-res screen... they have to cut costs somewhere on this, unless they are trying to pull people in en mass and hope that the number of sales will bring in enough $$ (i.e. have a really low profit margin but hope to sell a boat load of the devices).

I'm really wondering who's doing their r&d and focus-group work. It sure isn't any of us :(

5. xconan

xconan Mobile Consultant

6. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

That's the Windows Mobile version of this phone, which appears to be larger than the Palm OS one, and has a landscape-oriented QVGA screen, not a square one.

7. Ed Hardy

Interesting idea, but not the direction Palm is going with the Centro. One of the few things we know for sure about this smartphone is it will have a touchscreen.

8. Ed Hardy

Yes. That's what the rumor says, anyway.

9. Ed Hardy

For many years, Palm's very successful strategy with its handhelds has been to get draw customers in with its entry-level models, and later upgrade these people to devices with more features (and higher profit margins). It appears the company is going to attempt to do the same thing with its smartphones.

10. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

I'm of the minority opinion that the device is on the side of cute and should work well. For all those who have talked about the thumbboard, I get complaints all the time abuot the Pearl's. This will be no worse, and maybe even better if there is a good enough feel to it.

Hope the camera is up to snuff. Heck, hope its stable. Price is nice though. It will sell in bunches at that rate.

Ditching the Treo name was not a smart move. Lest the Treo is going to be remade into the ultimate smartphone, and therefore make clear differentitation, this isnt smart at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.