Palm Pre-Announces the Centro Smartphone

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Palm, Inc. has just given the world its first official glimpse of a smartphone it will release in the near future. The company hasn't released all the details on this device, just a broad overview.

There will be several things that will set this device apart from Palm's current Treo line, the most obvious of which is it won't be called a Treo. Instead, it will be the "Palm Centro".

[​IMG]

It will initially be offered in the U.S. by Sprint, and will support this carrier's high-speed EV-DO wireless network.

The Centro will run the Garnet OS, formerly Palm OS Garnet, not Windows Mobile.

AKA the Gandolf

Palm says this will be its smallest smartphone ever; nevertheless, it will still include a full keyboard and touch screen.

No official pictures of the Centro have been released, but those who were at a Sprint event today where this device was on display say it is the device previously known as the Gandolf (see image at right).

According to Palm, this model has been created for "a younger demographic, new to the smartphone space".

The company isn't yet willing to announce what the Palm Centro will sell for, but an unofficial report says its price will be $99.

Related Articles

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. Andrew

Andrew Mobile Deity

EV-DO in a $99 device means that the data plan will cost about as much as the phone. Do kids really need that? I guess if they want to watch You Tube on a really small screen it's a necessary thing. Doubt this phone will support even that though.

3. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

$99? That's really interesting...

4. Bard

Bard Mobile Evangelist

@Ed: you mean USD99 with contract?

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Sprint's data plan is $15 per month. Hardly the cost of the phone. Sprint has the best data plan available.

If the Centro has a 320x320 screen, watching YouTube should be easily obtainable with a simple purchase of Kinoma 4.

If the costs of this are correct, I suspect this might be a very popular phone.

6. Genjinaro

Genjinaro ~3rdPrty 4ehvur!~

Huh? You know its $15-$25 for unlimited EVDO data on Sprint. :p

7. bulls96

bulls96 Mobile Evangelist

Im gonna hold my judgement until i really see the phone.

$99 as against $499 for the iPhone.... i'm sure parents will see the light :)

8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Prices for phones on Brighthand are almost always quoted with contract. Details on the price without contract is not usually known until just a few days prior to release.

9. r0k

r0k Dazed

Smaller and cheaper, eh?

Hopefully this thing will give Palm a much-needed lift.

I've seen posts saying they didn't like the looks, but it might appeal to folks who never considered a smartphone. It's nice to see a Palmos option to counter the low-end windows mobile options.

I wonder if they will try to get away without a touchscreen and stylus and make the 5-way somehow double as a kind of joystick for selecting stuff in applications. It would not work well with many current palmos apps, but if apps were written with this in mind...

10. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Awww, too bad it isnt GSM.

Capt. JC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.