Palm Pre and Anti-virus Software?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by philpalm, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Deity

I wonder if the LED Camera on the Pre is just the new wave of Higher Res Camera Phones that are coming out? Since the GPS is present on the Camera will someone add a GPS photomark program too?

Since Pre will be more connected to the "Cloud" will that mean the Pre needs more anti-virus software?

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I seem to remember that the moment a platform can multi-task, it's time to go serious about anti-virus. But you don't ask Palm about it, but rather Symantec, Trend Micro, etc. There were anti-virus released for Palm OS in the past, but it was actually a virus free platform, so they faded quickly. WebOS, as far as it goes, will multi-task, making it virus vulnerable. WebOS was announced as with no C language support, a factor that may keep it virus protected, but let's see what the real and released device sports in. It is very likable that Palm bends to the developers' community in this one.

3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

This is OT for this thread, but cloud computing should not in itself increase the risk of malware attacks. Also, mobile platforms do not make good targets for malware because of the hardware specific variations in them. You can certainly get an infected document and pass that on to your computer, but there the answer is malware protection on the laptop or desktop. I'm sure the AV companies, who trade on turning fear into dollars, will be happy to market such programs, but they will continue to be a waste for years to come.

Now, Pre and Flash? :)

4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

As Hook pointed out, this discussion was off-topic for the article on the Pre getting Flash support, so I've made it it own thread.

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

since recent virus threats have been aimed at adobe flash, I thought this was on topic.

6. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

There are no viri which effect mobile devices in a way that you need the snake-oil of anti-virus software. Even in those devices which support Flash. Every named viri has to have the owner of the mobile initiate an action (such as opening an unfamiliar file or keeping bluetooth on discoverable) before something would happen.

To the original poster:
    LED is a flash. It makes some higher resolution pictures better as they can do more with more light entering the lens.

Geotagging isn't a feature that I can remember Palm talking about, but I would not be surprised if they do not support it.

7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Adobe just fixed a clickjacking problem with their Flash. I don't see why clickjacking couldn't potentially be a problem for handheld devices since the Adobe Flash problem was cross-platform and cross-browser.

8. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

Adobe Flash used on mobile devices is different (and coded differently to interpret the same files) than what is on the desktop. Therefore security models would also be different.

Nothing has come to public light about mobiles being a target of click-fraud with Flash because the penetration of connected Flash applications on mobiles is not large enough to cause a scare at this point.

9. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Sorry, next time make the connection clearer in your post. As it was, you seemed to be heading off at a tangent, especially as the first part of your post wasn't related to Adobe Flash either.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Eh...it's all a scam from the AV companies. The only OS i've ever heard of having mobile virii is Symbian, and that is, as AWright pointed out, usually triggered by the user accepting something they shouldn't.

Windows Mobile does not have any known virii, IIRC, and it is most definitely a multi-tasking OS. (As I remembered this morning when I realized that downloading and playing with new apps and not resetting means you're still running that chess game from two days ago...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.