Palm Pilot m125

Discussion in 'Palm' started by phosphor, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phosphor

phosphor Newbie

I have a Palm Pilot m125, and I was wondering if new software
    can be installed using the SD card alone and how.
    Thanx.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hello phosphor, welcome to Brighthand! :)

Yes, new software can be installed with the SD card (bypassing PalmDesktop and hotsync). To do this, you need a card reader (or a program that makes your Palm work as one) and a file manager.

Simply copy the .PRC and .PDB files that make up the program to a temporary folder in the SD card. This is where you use the card reader. If you don't have one, try CardExport II. This program turns your Palm into a card reader. Just connect the Palm to the PC with the USB cable (or cradle), launch the program, and connect.

Once the files are in the card, move them to the Palm's main memory with the file manager. You can use Filez, which is an excellent free file manager.

This methd works very well. Some of us use this to install all our programs, and never use hotsync or PalmDesktop.

3. phosphor

phosphor Newbie

You see, I bought this one without a cradle and it does not have a
    usb connector.
    I'm thinking I will have to get the cradle to begin with to install
    applications.
    where can I get palm desktop software for synchronizing applications
    on to the plam pilot???

4. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Hello Phosphor, you will either need a cradle or an SD card reader/writer.
    Personally if you don't have either than I would recommend the cradle, since some palm programs install as exe files that run on windows instead of pure prc files - and can only be installed via cradle.

You can download palm desktop here:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/palmdesktop.html

Also - In addition to palm desktop, there is another great freeware program that can save you major time when you just want to install applications.
    Palm desktop does a whole synchronization with your computer, meaning it backs up everything (contacts, to do lists etc) - even when you just want to install a single program.
    In cases which you just want to install a single palm program onto your palm, you can use this program and it does a hotsync that JUST installs the software via cradle:
    http://syncpedia.com/palm-classic/pilot_install_.html

Good luck :).

5. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Oh also probably the cheapest source for a cradle would be ebay, fyi.

6. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

It does not have a USB connector, but the m125 uses a cable that has one. The connector at the bottom of the m125 can interface with this cable or with the cradle.
    You can download it from Palm's website (link provided by SyncRaven). The best version for the m125 is PalmDesktop 4.1.4. Do not use the newer version 6.2, unless you're running Windows Vista.
    Every program I've tried that installs via an EXE creates the .PRC and .PDB files in the Install or Quick Install folders of the user (in C:\Program Files\Palm). This way they are enqueued for installation during hotsync. But once you locate the files you can drag and drop them to your card - no need to hotsync at all. Have you seen any program that makes things differently (i.e. does not create prc and pdb files in the install folder)?

7. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Hi Raspabalsa,

I've never actually tried to look for the files manually - so didn't know that, so I would assume your right that all EXE packages probably do this.

But still, I think I would personally prefer to use the cradle in most cases with a program like pilotinstall for installing straight prc files. Seems like it would generally be faster than moving to the card and then using a program to move it to memory. Personal preference I guess :).

8. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

Well not to beat a dead horse but I was also just thinking that some palm apps have integrated desktop applications (adarian money, documents to go).
    You could use the programs without the desktop applications probably but if those desktop apps are important to you then a cradle would also be needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.