Palm OS II Officially Bumped Back to 2009

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

Realistically, a "quote" of 18 months can very easily lead to 24 months or more. A 2009 release date will probably be closer to 2010. I don't think Treo sales are sustainable for the next 18-24 months (at least the Palm OS versions).

My opinion on the matter is simple. There is no point in "waiting" for a new OS in 2009 or 2010. The only realistic options at this point is Windows Mobile or the iPhone once third party apps start rolling out.

Palm is finished. Their product is bulky and their technology is dated. A new OS in 2009-2010 will not save them. Hardcore smartphone and PDA users will move onto something else (like the iPhone or iPod touch).

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch! No new "PDA" devices on the horizon, and the new converged device OS is seriously hurting. I may very well have the most powerful Palm Treo for the next 3 years. That's a long lifespan at the top. I know I'm loyal, but I can't say that everyone will follow my footsteps. This is indeed sad news.

3. surur

surur -230 Rep and still right!

Actually, hasn't Apple vindicated MS's approach? They shoved a only moderately modified version of BSD, using many of their desktop technologies (especially the animation and rendering stuff), coupled with gobs of ram (128MB) and the fastest ARM processor on a phone, the 624 MHz one, and is selling their device on its desktop-like browsing experience.

My suggesting to Palm - perfect is the enemy of good enough. In the open source community the philosophy is to ship a lot and often. As Apple has shown, the market is surprisingly forgiving of an unfinished product if you can impress them in at least some way.

Surur

4. PalmOSFan

PalmOSFan iPhone stunt-driver

Sadly, after 10+ years of Palm loyalty, I've moved on. I still have a 650 languishing in my drawer (only because I have so much Palm software), but I'm currently using the Tilt on AT&T (never thought I'd be able to stand WM, but WM6 is snappy enough that I'm growing to like it) for business and an iPhone on the weekends. As soon as 3rd party apps roll out in earnest, my iPhone will take center stage and I don't plan on looking back. This announcement might as well be Palm announcing a long-suspected terminal illness. I hope they can recover, but I'm certainly one of those long-sufferers who can be chalked up as a casualty of Palm's stagnation.

5. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

I really don't get it!
    Say 2 years, from now, to release a new (if any!) PDA, or a new smartphone (and I'm saying new, not a Treo 682,5, huge increment from Treo 680...).
    I have to agree with previous posts: what did they do for the last couple of years? Did they sleep? Didn't they do any sort of advance with the whole Foleo trash project? Come on, they were going to sell Foleo 2 months ago or so. How? Did they really have a sort of working equipment?
    I'm really smelling some burnt thing here. You now what am I guessing? I think they were going to abandon, COMPLETELY, the PDA market. Smartphone + Foleo, and that's it. Now they made a huge mistake with Foleo, for a reason I don't fully understand. And now they're out in the cold. No more Foleo, and they cannot resurrect PDA.

About PDA market: I still think that there is A LOT of market for powerful PDA's.
    At this point, if I was palm, I did not exit the Lifedrive from the market: just a minor fix, say including a CF drive, a bit more of RAM and double heap memory; probably it would have been enough for, say, 12 more months. And/or an imporved TX2, again with a bit more RAM, same 400 Mhz processor as the LD. That wouldn't need any BIG improvement! I guess...and kept the market warm for OS2, if we'll see one at this point...

6. r0k

r0k Dazed

What a shame. Palm OS II forecast release date is sounding more and more like February 31, 3100.

7. Timothy Rapson

Timothy Rapson Mobile Deity

18 months?
    Deliver a TX3 with an OS that is as snappy as OS 5.6 but with multi-tasking, real fonts, and real graphics standards. Add screen and browser from Nokia 810, camera from Samsung phone (5 MP, 3X optical zoom), and sell if for less than $400.
    Then we'll talk.

8. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

I do not think that I am going to add anything new to the Headline news discussion other then to state that I am also disappointed.

I do think that the over all feeling of dissapointment should be noted. Brighthand is decidely a pro-palm discussion board. I would even venture to assume that mainy of the "regular" posters are staunch palm OS supporters. If the feeling on such an optimistic board is filled with such an air of dismay I can only imagine how this news will be regarded with others.

And do not be fooled that "consumers" are too ill informed to have such news effect current purchases. Today's consumer, on avarage, will think of such things.

9. Magellan

Magellan Moderator of Ill repute Super Moderator

Actually, Palm can keep selling WM Treos (or whatever else they come up with) to keep money coming in. When they release a new OS, I am sure if it is good, people will switch. If Palm was strictly making PALM OS devices, then they would be hard pressed to stay afloat that long. Using WM looks smarter with this new development.

10. Stirling

Stirling Packets in, packets out

Here's another bit of distressing thought. I can guarantee you that both Apple & MS are hard at work right now on the OS they're going to release 6 months from now, 12 months from now & 2 years from now. I'd be willing to bet they each have a team looking 5 years down the road. Meanwhile Palm is still sitting on the floor playing with it's toes.
    Really is a depressing announcement. Although, I'm not a converged guy so maybe this doesn't affect me all that much anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.