Palm OS Emulator - ROM Transfer problem

Discussion in 'm100 series' started by crasmuss, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crasmuss

crasmuss Newbie

Hi,

I have a problem with my m130.

I want to develope som java-stuff to my Palm. To that, it should be possible to obtain a ROM image from my Palm with a ROM Transfere program.

I've installed the ROM Transfere program on my Palm.
    Choosen a slow speed (USB connection) on the Emulator and the same slow speed on the Palm.
    Disabled the HotSync program that uses the same port.
    And then started the Download part of Palm OS Emulator (activatet the 'Begin' button), and hit the 'Begin Transfer' button on my Palm.

The only thing that happens, is I get a 'TimeOut' on the Palm ROM Transfer Software.

I've looked for help on www.palmos.com but I can't find any help there (neither can I get access to the newsgroups - I subscribed on four NG's, and was told that a password/username would be mailed to me, but nothing happened!).

Pls. Is there anyone who can help me?

2. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

Hello Claus.

The current version of Palm OS Emulator (POSE) is version 3.5 does not support the transferring of ROM images over a USB connection.

To download the m130's ROM into a POSE ROM image file you will need to connect the m130 to your PC workstation with a serial connection (either a serial cradle or cable will work).

Alan G

3. palmnerd

palmnerd Mobile Deity

Are you sure it only supports serial? Several weeks ago I was able to do a ROM transfer of my old m125 (I have m130 now) and I did it with a USB cradle. I did have problems with the timeout but i forgot what it was. I found out the solution somewhere on the web. I think it was something stupid like forgetting to set 'USB' in the menu in the transfer software in Windows. They have options for COM1/COM2 and USB i think. Or i might be thinking of something else. But you may want to check that. Also make sure your transfer rate settings are the same in both the windows software and in the settings on your palm.

4. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

It is possible that Palm has updated the emulator's ROM transfer tool without changing the verion number.

It was not possible to transfer a ROM with a USB connection when I last tried it a few months ago.

Alan G

5. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

I just checked the documentation for the POSE version 3.5. By default, USB downloads are not possible. But, it you have Palm Desktop 4.0.1 or later installed, you can copy a .dll into the emulator directory to make USB ROM transfers possible.

Basically, you need to copy the file 'USBPort.dll' file into the POSE directory before attempting to download a ROM image over USB. For a complete set of setup directions, check out the POSE manual. The secion which talks about setting up a USB ROM transfer is called 'Transferring a ROM Image over a USB Connection'.

Alan G

6. palmnerd

palmnerd Mobile Deity

Yes, that's it, that's what i did. And you have to remember to select USB in the menu for the windows software.

7. crasmuss

crasmuss Newbie

To AlanG & palmnerd,

Thank You for Your help :p

It worked when I copied the 'USPPort.dll' file to my WinNT directory (I've allready had the file in System and System32 dir's, but that didn't help).

Regards a very :D device developer
    Claus

8. toothmkr57

toothmkr57 Adept M125 User

Ok I have a little bit more complicated problem that the previous threads, but it has to do with these. I downloaded the emulator and unzipped it, downloaded rom transfer.prc on my palm, opened up emulator and the attempted the rom transfer( without really reading the directions) Well as we all know emulator 3.5 does not support usb unless previously threads described has been done, well not knowing the previously discussed threads I became frustrated and said screw it. I ended up leaving the rom transfer.prc on my palm (instead of deleting it) and then after a day or so I did a hotsync. here is where everything went wrong the palm desktop software (after the hotsync) will only accept a serial connection and I only have usb. now after reading these previous post I realized how to fix hte emulator and did so but I even tried removing the usbport.dll from the palm directory and put put it back in. Nothing will work. Basically I am trying to ask how do I get my desktop software to be able to use the usb connection again, please remember that I can't hotsync at all so there is no way to have handheld override desktop?

Thanks for any suggestions
    -Paul

9. hp46168

hp46168 Rebel without a pause

To regain USB syncing, I would suggest the following:

Re-install Palm Desktop Software.
    Re-install USB drivers for your Palm.
    Re-sync.

Merely re-installing the software will not erase your old data. But, if you want to be sure not to lose it, make a copy of the folder that has the Palm derivative of your hotsync id.

Kyle

10. toothmkr57

toothmkr57 Adept M125 User

Okay that gives me a little bit of relief to know that it won't erase it, I will give it a try and see if it works. Does anyone have a reason why this actually happened so I can watch out for it in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.