Palm m125 recharge batteries: a critical question

Discussion in 'm100 series' started by zemir, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zemir

zemir Newbie

Hi, i have an old palm m125 and i am happy to use it as ebooks reader. I use on it rechargable ni-mh batteries and they work very fine. However i must to recharge often and i should to know if there is an ac adapter to use with the usb cradle that have a plug connector. I have used an universal adapter setted with 4.5Volt and 0,35mAh, but it does not work.:(
    Must i set the polarity, too? The central pin is positive or negative?
    .................where can i buy an correct adapter?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta boldly battling the XenForo-ces {squeek!!}

while the cradle/cable supports connecting an AC adapter, I do not see that the m125 has a charging port; therefore, I do not think it supports charging batteries that are installed in the m125 -- the manual
    Palm Support : Resources for retired products and non-Palm products

talks exclusively about alkaline batteries, which are not rechargeable. I don't know how old your AAA batteries are, but maybe replacing them with a new set would help.

to answer your AC adapter question though, for my m130, the center is positive, it is rated at 5.0 volts and 1 amp (1000milliamps)

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Sideways for the topic, RA, did you replace the battery in your m130? Mine is pooped out & lives on the cradle. :(

4. RickAgresta

no, but with the digitizer so completely fubared, makes no difference. plus, if IIRC, the power button is also an "issue". I will probably do some surgery on my TX, though (especially if the preliminary numbers are right, for my income tax refund)

5. zemir

zemir Newbie

OK Rick, thanks for you answer. Therefore, what i see on ebay, it should not be true:
    the palm m125 works with 2 AAA batteries (rechargable or no) but it is not possible to recharge them on the cradle. If you make an around on ebay, you can see selling of ac adapter for palm m125. But: do they work?
    If anyone can tell me about, anyone that have an palm m125 such as me........

6. RickAgresta

the adapter sold works, but not for the m125, as far as I can see. I looked thru the m1xx forum, and found that while the m125 did come from the factory with a cradle, and the cable to connect to a PC, it *did*not* include an AC adapter, since it uses replaceable batteries. I saw numerous ebay ads, as you said, but regardless, to the best of my research, the m125 does not accept power in through it's universal connector.

7. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Rick is correct, the m125 does not have the circuitry to support a rechargeable.

ni-mh batteries have a short life cycle, and as recharged the ability to support working levels diminishes over time making them less green in some applications than the alkline batteries as well as more costly.

I would suggest looking for LiIon AAA cells, I not certain if made, I know the AA versions hold up very well and have a great shelve life, at least the set for a point n shoot camera I have, have.

8. zemir

zemir Newbie

Ok, thanks, but i see that most ebay users say it works and they leave positive feedback. I think they are not all crazy..........I do not know........ Palm suggest only alcaline aaa batteries to use on palm m125 but they sold it with the cradle and usb/ac adapter ports. I'm confuse........... there are also ac adapter that connected directly on pda without cradle, as well as secondary batteries li/ion on the same port...... However, i will use simple batteries, i will see to find any li/ion aaa types........
    Thanks again!

9. reb1

reb1 Mobile Evangelist

Tenergy and Sanyo make 1000mAH AAA batteries that have a good life cycle. They are inexpensive when ordered over the web and superior to alkaline batteries. I get longer run times with them than I did with alkaline batteries. You can purchase the batteries for around a buck apiece. Make sure you use a decent charger. Stay away from department store brands they are of poor quality and do not even have the rated mAH rating that they claim. The lithium AAA batteries do have a better run time but cost about $10. a set.

10. zemir

zemir Newbie

I have made an quick researching on ebay and i have found any aaa li / ion batteries but at 3,7 Volt each, therefore i think they do not good for palm m125. Now i am using UNIROSS 900Mah 1,2Volt, and they works fine for almost one week.
    However, i will try to use Tenergy and Sanyo, as you say, and i will inform you.

11. reb1

reb1 Mobile Evangelist

Keep an extra set charged with you. You can purchase the little plastic cases for them also.

12. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Evangelist

A week or two weeks for my energizer recharge Nihm batteries for my handspring Visors. Palm usually has cheap capacitors that will fail causing data loss immediately when changing batteries (Sony doesn't nave a good track record either.

I saw some Li-ion AAA batteries but they are expensive and we don't have anyone advocating the non rechargeable ones yet.

13. zemir

zemir Newbie

No problem for me, i use usually an mmc 64Mb card and i make backups into it with BBVFSFREE backup software. There are not problem when i make exchanging batteries.

14. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

In regards to the m125, the are not knowledgeable.

Yes the m125 implements the universal connector and the same cradle will allow the cradle to HOTSYNC the m125, but since the m125 is built to function with REPLACEABLE batteries, the internal charge circuits are not included.

The m130 (the color version of the m125) was made with the rechargeable LiIon battery, and used the same cradle, but was supplied with the charger. Also, the m500, 50 m515, TC, TT, TT2, TT3 and i705 were all made with the universal connector and all had rechargeable Li Ion batteries.

I do not have a m125, but do have a IIIxe and use with AAA alkaline, and can use for better than month per set. This has a larger screen and same memory as the m125, so would expect the m125 to receive longer service life from a like set of cells.

Do you have the problem with memory loss, while changing batteries?

The m100 and m105 models did suffer this issue and it is very possible the m125 inherited the same vintage backup capacitor as well. There was a class action suit against Palm for the m100 and m105, with settlement being free repairs, my daughter took advantage and her m100 was repaired and to this day it works as intended. that is why I was curious about teh m125 having the same issue.

All the best and enjoy your m125's function.

15. zemir

zemir Newbie

Ok, now i am sure about this........

I think this depends by other factors and not by screen size, i use very often my palm and 1 or 2 weeks are not sufficient. However i think m125 is more nice........:)

As well as i wrote, it is not problem for me. I use one 64Mb mmc card always inserted on my pda and i often make backups so, when batteries are dead, i can replace them without problems and i can restore previous settings in few seconds. However, if i wait more of one minute, the settings cancel themselves and it returned by factory defaults. Only the clock remain good but in 2 or 3 minutes also it return at the factory settings!

Thanks!