Palm lost its way?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Englishman, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Englishman

Englishman Mobile Consultant

I used to use a Palm Vx and then bought a Tungsten T some 2 years ago (brilliant except digitiser keeps going wrong). Now, I want to use GPS and perhaps traffic updates (Tom Tom for UK and USA?) and find I need to upgrade again. I also want Wifi so I can find the hotspots before opening my laptop for serious wireless surfing and emailing. I am happy to keep the mobile phone (with bluetooth) separate but have lots of contacts, to do's and a large calendar to synchronise with Outlook. It appears that to do all this I will have to leave Palm (a good old friend) and go to probably a Dell Pocket PC or a HP 4750. Come on Palm why can't I do this with a new Palm device (I could just about manage it with a T3 but surely I need to jump that generation).

2. tomthemacman

tomthemacman T|C Aficionado

I think you need the Tungsten C.
    Wifi - Check
    GPS Compatibility - Check
    Outlook Compatibility - Check
    Tons of space for contacts/TomTom/whatever - Check
    Bluetooth - Sadly no, but some phones can operate with data cables

Look, if you like the palm better, I'm sure you'd be able to overlook that one minor problem of no bluetooth with a data cable. The OS is definetly worth the little neusance of a cable. Stick with the OS you know and love, the hardware you know will preform, and then make do if the solution isn't perfect.

Good luck!

3. Englishman

Englishman Mobile Consultant

Thanks for the suggestion but Tom Tom navigator or Navman are the main GPS systems available for the US and UK (which is what I need) and appear to be the best around. Tom Tom is only available for T3 Tungsten and of course Pocket PC. Also they have a bluetooth version (saving on cables) and I have a Nokia Bluetooth phone so why go to cables? Navman has the GPS 4460 with Bluetooth for the T3. So what do I use with a Tungsten C? I shall also miss bluetooth - why do I have to compromise? Why does Palm not get up to date?

4. wolfRx

wolfRx Mobile Evangelist

Try Mapsonic Europe 1.32 (2.8Gb, detailed map coverage indeed!) or Digi-Map(700 Mb, not bad). They both work fine on my T2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.