Palm lifedrive software and Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by triumph2, Oct 27, 2011.

1. triumph2

triumph2 Newbie

My old computer with the palm software on it went belly up. I purchased a new computer with windows 7 on it, but I can't find my Palm software disk. Can the original software be downloaded from a website (for free), if so, could somebody tell me what the site is? Will the original software work with windows 7 and will the upgraded drivers also work? Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, triumph2. :)

Which Palm device are you referencing? Windows 7 has some special circumstances attached which others are more familiar with (I am still using Windows XP Pro on all PCs) so I will let them speak to the particulars. Stay tuned. :)

3. triumph2

triumph2 Newbie

lelisa13p:

I'm using the PalmOne Lifedrive.

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

How did I miss that info? :eek:

There are some threads in the Sync (Windows/Palm OS) forum that address Windows 7 if you want to browse while waiting for someone who has actually done this to chime in. I checked the LifeDrive forum and didn't see anything that would be particularly helpful.

PalmDR has installation discs for sale here. The price is reasonable and the vendor is quite reputable & well respected here.

As I said, hotsync to Windows 7 involves some special considerations, IIRC.

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

The Palm support site (Google it) has most of the software you need, although it might be a generic version of the Palm Desktop. Also, if you plan to hotsync via USB, you need to search Brighthand for "Aceeca 64-bit" drivers. Alternatively, with top-tier Windows 7 OS packages, you can run XP and use the old software (probably the best option).

6. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

My brother informs me the Win 7 has the ability to run XP in some sort of window so if that works, HotSync should still work.

7. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity