Palm Introduces Wi-Fi Security Update for the TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Ed Hardy, Mar 17, 2006.

1. jakie_chon

jakie_chon Mobile Enthusiast

Look at me, I answer comments months late.

I had this same problem with a linksys router. I configured the router to WPA2. To make the PDA work, I just set it to the simpler WPA (not WPA2) that does not require the certificate.

I really did not think it would work, but it did.

2. ddv

ddv Mobile Evangelist

If one was to purchase a used TX, how could one tell quickly if it had the update installed already?

3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, ddv. :)

If you were to purchase a used TX, you'd want it to be Hard Reset first in order for it to be returned to Factory Settings. You'd want to give it your own Hotsync ID and not use someone else's. A Hard Reset would remove any updates that had been installed by the previous owner along with all personal information. The exception is that the ESU survives Hard Resets per the ReadMe and FAQ located here, Item #6 (this is the FAQ PDF file.)

4. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

The update does survive a hard reset, so go ahead and do that.

Go to your Applications Menu, select Info, then Versions. The entry for Wi-Fi will be v4.1 with the patch and 4.0 without.

You can also tell if it's installed by going to Prefs, Wi-Fi, Setup, Edit, Add, then click the Security drop-down. If the patch is applied you will see a list with: Open, Personal, and Enterprise. Without the patch these options will be None, WEP, and WPA-PSK.

5. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Read this page, at bottom of the page Palm tells you exactly how to determine if applied or not.

6. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

BAB2000 is correct. I KNEW this was available somewhere at Palm! And to think I restored an old backup to find this... Oh well, nice to know NVBackup is working (as always). I've put the version info in my post above.

Reminder: For those who don't test your backups on occasion, you should! Don't ever be too comfortable and just trust your backup solution. App conflicts or a faulty SD card could be trashing those backups. This is a regular practice in many data centers and a good one to exercise at home too. Start this year off right. I backup with multiple programs to 3 different cards - and back these cards to a PC or DVD on occasion. This may be considered excessive to some, but I've seen too much data loss to be a victim myself.

7. BAB2000

Yes, and to our surprise Palm included the detail right there in the Update information page for the update.:rolleyes:
    It is great to observe our members so dedicated to find an answer for members who ask questions before a little research.

Tip of the hat to you as well.

8. ddv

ddv Mobile Evangelist

I'm sorry if the question gave you offense. I actually did do "a little research" -- as in downloading and reading the TX manual and the ESU Readme.doc file and the esu_faq.pdf from Palm, reading the "Product Documentation" web page plus querying the search engines both here at Brighthand and at Palm's website -- before asking the question. Somehow I missed that one page.

My thanks to all those who replied.

9. BAB2000

ddv, no ill will intended directly toward you. I did just observed how you could have interpreted my sentence. My reply was solely intended for Scott_L, who went to great lengths to research your question and I am glad you thanked him.

The update page for many of Palm's releases do detail the specifics and those familiar with products even overlook the obvious. My reply was to provide a little smile as we all often jump in the middle of the fray with out scoping actual problem, as is often observed.

If you took offense to my reply, my sincerest apologies:eek:

And by the way, your question did not state you had researched the update prior to asking, so I suspected you had not ever reviewed the Palm support pages, another error on my part:eek: , so hopefully providing the link also provided you and others reviewing the complete detail of the Palm TX™ Enterprise Security Update if you did wish to apply.

10. ddv

ddv Mobile Evangelist

Understood. One of the problems of a text environment is one misplaced or missing word can completely change the apparent meaning. I guess this is one of those mix ups.

Respectfully, I do not believe the details are all that obvious to the uninitiated. One could even characterize some of the information on the Palm website as misleading, or at least, incorrect.

For example, the TX page uses phrases like " Browse the web and check email from your office..." and "With Wi-Fi technology, you're on top of it all when you're away from your desk. At work, tap into your corporate network and download an email attachment while waiting for a meeting". As the highest levels of security usually occur within a corporate environment, to me this seems to imply that Enterprise level WPA is built-in from the factory.

Someone reading the TX product web page only finds out that this capability is an extra-cost option first clicking on the "Peek under the hood" link (http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/tx/tx_specs.html), then following the small "WiFi" link at the bottom of the sidebar (http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/tx/tx_wifi_bluetooth.html), and then finally on the ESU link under "Wireless Extras" (http://www.palm.com/us/software/esu/index.html).

That's when things get a bit strange, as the first paragraph of that page concludes "...and includes the Wi-Fi security, WEP and WPA Personal (PSK) typically used for home and SOHO networks" -- implying that purchasing the ESU upgrade is required to access networks protected by those security protocols too!

On the sidebar of that page is a link to "Product Documentation" (http://software.palm.com/us/html/display_palm_product.jsp?id=prod1730855), which brings up a page with the "Add to Cart" button and a software licence agreement. At the top of the agreement, is a link "For detailed list of features and supported security protocols, click here."

And it is with this final link (http://www.palm.com/us/software/esu/index.htm) that things get truly bizzare, for while it is apparently supposed to loop us right back to the page we just came from, clicking it produces a 404 error page due to the mis-typed link (.htm instead of .html)!

Nowhere in that chain did I find the link to the support page that you so kindly provided, although, as I indicated earlier, I did find links to the ReadMe.doc file etc.

No, not an error on your part. Obviously I didn't read all the support pages, I just read all the wrong support pages :eek: Fortunately I then came here to Brighthand, where the correct information is more easily found.