Palm Introduces Wi-Fi Security Update for the TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Ed Hardy, Mar 17, 2006.

1. lendrum06

lendrum06 Newbie

Hello all,

I'm new to this site. My TX (bought Dec. 2006) has been working fine until about a month ago. Now I can't see the photos on web pages. There is a little box showing me where the photo should be, but no pictures. It's driving me nuts. I use the wireless modum at home and my husband recently added some security measures - could this be part of the problem? We have a new Windows XP HP computer, also bought in December.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Chet L.

Chet L. Mobile Deity

Welcome to Brighthand lendrum06!

If you are using Blazer, under options/preferences/general there is an option to switch between normal mode and fast mode. Fast mode does not download images. Make sure that normal mode is checked.

3. BrainExtension

BrainExtension Mobile Enthusiast

To answer my own question. I purchased this update, but dispite the fact that it does WPA2/Enterprise and has AES encryption option, it is unable to support the simpler WPA2/Personal with AES. Totally weird but that's the deal. After I could not get it to work I exchanged emails with Palm Tech support and they confirmed no dice right now, and no current plans to add it. Another sad day for wireless security.

4. RT11guru

RT11guru old but newbie

I am not sure what hardware you are using but WPA Personal works fine on my Airport Extreme Basestation. Set up was easy. I have the encryption set for "Auto". I also have MAC filtering, FWIW. The Palm security uptdate was critical for me to be able to connect at work where we use WEP enterprise with certificates. Thats works great as well.

5. TheHolyGhost

TheHolyGhost Newbie

Nobody's mentioned what seems to be the biggest problem to me. You need an SD Card reader to do this update?:( Am I missing something? Can I do it without a card reader because otherwise this will quickly become a 26 dollar "update."

6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand, TheHolyGhost. :)

What about a software solution like Card Reader? PalmGear has it on sale for $10.75 thru July 31. :)

7. RT11guru

RT11guru old but newbie

I didn't use a card reader. As I recall, I just installed to the card on my TX and then ran it from there. Perhaps because I didn't create the exact directory structure the updater program was looking for, the "TX_Updater" gave an error but the "ROMUpdater" ran fine and seemed to successfully update the TX. You could probably use FileZ, or a similar program, to move things around on the card so it looks like the "Palm" directory that is included as part of the update package. Also, on a Mac at least, you can use MissingSync to mount the SD card on the desktop and install the update from there. I am pretty sure you can do the same thing on Windows. I don't know why the instructions call for a card reader.

8. TheHolyGhost

TheHolyGhost Newbie

Hey everyone,

Thanks so far, this seems like a great place to be. I was hoping maybe if I told you how my wireless on my laptop is configured you could help me figure out how to use the wizard to create an appropriate profile. So:

Network authentication is open, WEP encryption (key provided automatically), IEEE 802.1x is enabled using PEAP, validate server cert. is unchecked, authentication method is eap-mschap v2.

It won't let me make a profile without a certificate, so I'm sort of at a loss. Please help:confused: Thank you!

-THG

9. RT11guru

RT11guru old but newbie

Ghost
    I don't know about the network you will be using but the secure network I wanted to connect to required the "Thawte Premium Server CA Certificate" from http://www.thawte.com/roots/index.html. The ESU from Palm comes with a Windows program, Palm Wi-Fi Profile Wizard, that will ask you for all the settings you mentioned in your post and then you add the appropriate CA certificate. The result is a profile database that needs to be installed on your Palm. The final step is to set up the connection on the Palm.

10. Ducky Balut

Ducky Balut Mobile Consultant

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015