Palm Introduces Wi-Fi Security Update for the TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Ed Hardy, Mar 17, 2006.

1. bennyp

bennyp Mobile Evangelist

well I got the update and installed, but several things went wrong
    1) the TX_Updated script complained of "Missing File" (I have to card reader, so I used the Missing Sync to do the transfer to the card)
    2) I do not know where to put the name of my school's CA server. Without that I'll be unable to connect.

2. CoaxTheGreat

CoaxTheGreat Newbie

Hello...

I have a palm TX that I am trying to work with my college network. I have done this securty update.

We use 802.1x PEAP authentacation, no certificate, WEP encryption (key automaticly provided). EPA-MSCHAPv2. That works well for our radius server which athuentcates the User/password in windows.

I guess here is my questions:

Does the TX update require the the use of a certificate? if so, is there any documentation some place were I can access to set this up.

If a certificate is not needed, how can I bypass that in the palm/profile software?

I did have it work at one point, but not sure what I did. Then it stoped working, with no changed to the radius. I have since tryed to recreat a certificate with no luck.

any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Michaelp

3. Inselaffe

Inselaffe Mobile Consultant

I am Trying to acces my University's WiFi 802.1x using the Enterprise update I have bought & installed.
    Problem is when I try to add a network name (SSID) which I have to do because the network is hidded, there is no option for Enterprise in the security drop down menu.

I have followed all the instructions:
    Moved palm folder to SD card,
    Run TX_Updater, which led to expected hard reset
    Reinstalled all my files using Hotsync
    (Then I used NV Backup to reinstall everything as well, since some things werent configured as before)
    Made my WiFi profile on the Desktop (with help of one of our system managers) and hotsynced it to Device.

Anyone tell me why I cant see the 'enterprise' security option?
    Would using NVBackup undo anything that I had done during enterprise setup?

Any help most gratefully received

4. Inselaffe

Inselaffe Mobile Consultant

I am not clever enough to know why, but when I repeated what I did before but without using an NVbackup restore I then had the Enterprise option in the wifi settings on add.

Have to play around getting all the settings, registration keys etc back again. quite looking forward to that for some strange reason, a change is always good.

5. nicsdor

nicsdor Newbie

i posted my wi-fi related question in "fail to load web page" (http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=237094). can someone please read through it? I read this entire thread and a lot of other threads and still cannot find a solution how to connect my TX to my linksys router AND load webpages :(

6. bennyp

bennyp Mobile Evangelist

it doesn't NEED a cert, no.

7. irfan

irfan Mobile Enthusiast

If your schools system requires a certificate then you need to manually add it in. The TX will not automatically download one like most laptops do. If you need one then you need to find out from your school which one you require and then see if they can send you one via email. My school required an equifax one that I just found online.

Note: the IT dept may be clueless and say they cant email one, like in my case... yet I was easily able to get one from the web. The people you talk to may have no idea of what you are talking about.

8. ggrinton

ggrinton Newbie

I have just purchased this update and am trying to install it on my TX.

However, when I run the TX_Updater application frommy SD card, I get the error message:
    Incompatible Device
    This update can only be used on a TX

It certainly is a TX, and so I'm not sure where to go next.
    Can anyone offer advice, please?

Thanks.
    Geoffrey

9. Norrismj

Norrismj Newbie

I am having problems with the software recognising our CA certificate. I get the error: 'Connection failed - problem verifying with CA certificate (2006). Please ensure device date and time are accurate.' I have no problems with this certificate with my Intel PC wireless set up. Any suggestions?

Mike

10. BrainExtension

BrainExtension Mobile Enthusiast

I'm new to the TX, at home I use WPA2/AES for my 802.11g Network. Is this update going to get me connected or am I going to have to change the security on my network? I must use at least WPA2, but seems like lots of devices use differing terminology.