Palm Introduces Wi-Fi Security Update for the TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Ed Hardy, Mar 17, 2006.

1. pharbrian

pharbrian Mobile Evangelist

Nope. This has to do with wifi access to the internet. If you have been able to access the internet with your T|X using wifi, then the problem is with your settings on the email client or with Comcast.

2. digg

digg Mobile Enthusiast

I can't connect my TX via Wifi with the internet. I use some kind of Netgear Router, Mac OSX with Air Port. I managed it before the hard reset of my TX. It worked fine. I'm sure having used WEP with a 104 bit hex. The key has 26 signs, but not only letters from A to F. Using 26 signs, it can be either the 40 or the 104 bit passphrase. The 104 bit hex uses just letters from A-F. I don't know what to do as I have already tried all possibilities. The prob with the connection installed in the Mac is that I cannot see the configuration which means the exact key type or the key itself. Last time it worked, I typed in the 26 sign key, having chosen WEP. As to the key type, I suppose to have chosen the 104 bit hex.

Anybody can solve this prob?

Thx,
    Digg

3. Quaoar

Quaoar Newbie

You should be able to access the router through your brower, enter 192.168.x.y where x and y are 0 or 1. You can find the model number of the router on the label on the bottom or back; then go to www.netgear.com, find support for your router and download the pdf (I assume) manual which will have the default IP address for the router, the default password and default username.

Armed with this information you can open your router's admin pages and find out just exactly what the security level and key is.

Q

4. rbeef

rbeef Roast Beef

I installed the update. It works great at home. I use WPA-PSK. When I get back to work, I will try WPA-PEAP. I would like to upgrade my wireless to WPA2 (supported by my FreeBSD systems and by my TX) however when I applied the Windows patch to allow me to configure WPA2, it broke Widows, so I had to remove it. I believe the only difference between WPA and WPA2 is that WPA2 mandates additional authentication and encryption alogrithms while WPA makes them optional.

5. pharbrian

pharbrian Mobile Evangelist

I just tried to use my TX on a LEAP authenticated network. The IT dept set me up on their end, but my TX will not connect. The signal strength is not the issue. The guy did mention something about them using CKIP instead of TKIP encryption. I don't know if this is the issue. I am going to go back to the IT dept and see if someone might be able to give me some more complete info. In the mean time, I'm hoping someone here might be able to let me know if they have been able to hop onto a LEAP network, and if they have, tell me how they did it.

6. bennyp

bennyp Mobile Evangelist

Hello, first time posting

• My school's running their network under WPA2 with a public cert.
    • I've just got a Palm T|X and it's synced to my MacBook.

So my question is:

Can I install the ESU using a windows machine provided by my school, then go back to happily syncing with my MacBook?

Alternately, is there some way to fudge it? Are the configs stored in text somewhere that I can edit?

7. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

I get WPA-PSK via 802.11b for free with my X50V under Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition.

If my partner cannot connect to our home WPA-PSK-TKIP 802.11b without this update ... well, I won't be recommending anymore Palm PDAs.

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Welcome to Brighthand, bennyp!

You should be able to install the Enterprise Security Update and configure your T|X to connect with your school system without any impact to the configuration settings for your Mac. Your school network and your Mac most likely have different SSIDs, so there shouldn't be any conflict.

9. bennyp

bennyp Mobile Evangelist

Ok, sometime in the next couple of weeks I'll attempt to install the ESU from one of the computer's in my school's offices. I'll let you know how it goes.

10. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

Wow. I completely missed the fact that Palm had years to get a WiFi PDA to market and neglected to release it with the current security available.

I now know for a fact that I made the correct decision for me when I sold my T3 and got a Dell X50V PPC PDA. No looking back anymore for me.

Is it true that currently shipping TX PDAs have this security update/upgrade already installed?