Palm Introduces Wi-Fi Security Update for the TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Ed Hardy, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

Though Palm implies this may be directed more towards Enterprise users, it is *not* required to make a WPA connection - which is what I use at home since WEP has lost its edge.

EDIT: Inserted *not* due to error in my original statement.

2. dmccunney

dmccunney Mobile Deity

All it does is allow the TX to use WPA encryption, which will be required to connect to any corporate network I've seen. If you have a TX and want to connect to your company network, you almost certainly need it.

If you want to connect to your home network, you may need it as well.

If you don't apply this, you are limited to WEP encryption, which is insecure enough that I've seen suggestions that if WEP is all you have, you don't use security at all, so you aren't under the illusion of being protected. :p

I use WPA-PSK encryption on my home network. I wasn't about to lower my security by using WEP to allow my PDA to connect. WEP is fairly trivial to crack, and should not be considered secure. Unfortunately, my device is an old Tapwave Zodiac 2, and the Palm Wifi update is TX specific. (It updates device ROM, and requires a hard reset to apply.)

As a work around, I use two routers. My primary router, using WPA encryption, is a Linksys WRT54G. My desktop and laptop connect to it. I have an old Belkin router I used for a while when I thought the Linksys was having problems. I connected the Belkin to the Linksys as an access point. In that mode, the Belkin forwards everything to the Linksys for handling. The Zodiac connects to the Belkin using 128 bit WEP. SSID broadcast on the Belkin is turned off to make it less visible. MAC filtering is turned on in the Belkin, with only the Zodiac and the desktop permitted to access it. The Linksys treats the Belkin as a trusted host, so I can authenticate with the Zodiac using WEP, even though the network is set for WPA. When I'm not connecting with the Zodiac, the Belkin is powered off.

It's not perfectly secure, but it's secure enough.
    ______
    Dennis

3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Folks, we have been through this before. The TX does WPA-PSK encryption out of the box. It does NOT NEED this update to for WPA encryption. :)

4. dmccunney

dmccunney Mobile Deity

*blink*

It does? I sit corrected. I thought this update provided WPA.

So noted, and thanks for the correction.
    ______
    Dennis

5. Scott_L

Scott_L Palm til it's gone!

<sigh> OK, so I had a senior moment, but (sorry) I still didn't believe you because I know I bought this update for something important. So, I flashed back to Dmitry's TX2 ROM, and there it was! :eek: I stand corrected - and red faced. Since my TX was clean I installed Universe Browser 3.x and really liked it. I edited my post above with it and wrote a lengthy message (that this one is reaplacing) because it lost network connectivity and choked so I had to press the reset button. Using a the PC this time. Anyway, I realized why I bought the ESU after I erased the device tonight, it was NOT to connect to my WPA network, but to back out of Dmitry's TX2 ROM as I did this morning. I knew there was a good reason..