Palm Introduces Wi-Fi Security Update for the TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Ed Hardy, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

2. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Looks like Palm is not interested in providing free Updates any more. Shouldn't they be calling this an Upgrade?

3. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

Hey Mr. Tracy. I agree about Palm making money off this but do I need this update? I surf using WiFi at home and it would be nice to be able to surf at work, for work purposes or while at lunch. We have some kind of network at work but when I scan the Wifi it doesn't pick up any networks. What other purposes would I find for this update?
    Thanks as usual,
    Mick

4. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Suggest you inquire of your Network Administrator whether this would be applicable or of use.

5. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

In anticipation of the questions, the web site specifically states that the upgrade is for the Palm TX. There is no mention of any other Palm device being supported by this. If someone wants to try it please let us know what happens.

It also is not available for Macs.

6. probinette

probinette Mobile Deity

I am confused. My T|X works everywhere I go at work, home or school - so what do I need with this update?

7. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

My approach is that if I can't figure out if I need it, I probably don't. ;)

8. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

As Dick Tracy referenced via link in another thread, this is apparently all about Palm remaining compliant with the new standards dictated by the Wi-Fi Alliance.

I'm scared that Palm's going to come out with an overall service pack for the T|X, because they'll probably charge $50 for it.

9. PalmOSFan

PalmOSFan iPhone stunt-driver

Charging $$$ for an "update" that should have been included in the first place is no shocker to me. I thank Palm for a decent piece of hardware (my TX and all those that came before it), but given that they want $99 for a 1GB SD card on their site when you can get it for $30-40 everywhere else is a good indication of how "out of touch" Palm is.

10. pharbrian

pharbrian Mobile Evangelist

I am sending this from my University's insecure network which has limited coverage. With this update, I can access Wifi all over campus now! :D :D