1. Retrograde

Retrograde Mobile Enthusiast

Hi, this is my first post on this forum!
    I am 15, and have recently bought a Palm iiix for general use, along with my Nokia 3310. I was wondering so as to the limitations of the palm, if I can somehow get wifi through the expansion slot, and what elseI could do with it for general use. I do not have the CD, however, I could buy it if needs be. How essential is it to have the syncing software? Thanks.

2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

1) You definitely need the software.
    2) I can't imagine the wifi expander for the IIIX is compatible with today's wifi. It's my understanding that even newer Palms like the TX struggle with most wifi today.
    3) Your best bet is to contact Palm Dr: http://www.palmdr.com/

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Welcome to Brighthand, Retrograde.

Life will be simpler if you use it as a pocket PIM device without syncing to the desktop. To get your older Palm syncing to Palm Desktop on a computer will require some hoops. First, Windows 7 and above require a new set of drivers made by a 3rd party called Aceeca. You can find them HERE. However, I believe they only work with Palm Desktop 4.x or 6.x, not the version intended for the IIIx. PD 4.x seem to sometimes work sometimes not. PD 6.x seems a surer bet from what I've seen, but I've never actually done this. I stopped using Palm Desktop in 2010.

Also, to use a Palm that has Palm OS 4.x with either of these desktops, you will also need a patch avaiable from another 3rd part, Pimlico software, The patch is called PalmHotSyncSetup and you will find it on the bottom of THIS PAGE.

But honestly, at this point if I were carrying my old Palm (I have a TX), I'd just be using the Palm and not bother with desktop sync. YMMV.

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Welcome to Brighthand, Retrograde.

As far as I know, no WiFi adapter was released for the IIIx's expansion slot. There were some WiFi enabled cases for Palm devices, such as this one , but they work with Pam devices that have the Universal Connector. The IIIx does not have this connector.

I agree with Hook, the best way to use a IIIx nowadays is as a standalone device. However, you will need PalmDesktop, if only to install programs.

If you want to learn more about your IIIx, check this page for some technical data and pictures of the device's innards.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

6. jigwashere

Based on information in that link, you might want to wear a helmet.
    ;) :D :D

7. Retrograde

Thanks for all your replies. I may buy the cradle, for apps. Just wondering, what games come with it out of the box? And finally, what could I use t for in day to day life that my Nokia can't do? Calendar, maybe but what else? Thanks.

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I don't know what or if any games came with the IIIx. But here you'll find a link for the collection of Kurt Dekker games for PalmOS. All of them are freeware, and run on most, if not all, PalmOS devices.

9. jigwashere

For everyday use, there's Memo Pad to keep notes, To Do List to manage tasks, etc., but beware that it can be very difficult to transfer any information from your Palm to modern devices. Generally speaking, I really don't think there's much the Palm III can do that your Nokia can't.

10. Retrograde

Alright thanks. For the Kurt Dekker games, I'm guessing I'd need the cradle. Might buy it! Thanks for all replies.