Palm IIIc

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by blaser1234, Mar 27, 2011.

1. blaser1234

blaser1234 Newbie

Have Palm IIIc PDA which according to what I've been able to learn is
    simply not compatible with my Laptop which is loaded w/ Vista 64 bit
    software. Does anybody make a new PDA which will hotsync with my
    new Vista software. Like the ability to load info from PDA to PC and
    visa versa. Any way to transfer all the info. stored on my Palm IIIc to
    another Palm or current HP PDA or should I just bag the IIIc and start over?
    Thanks. AB.

2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

There are very few things nowadays that would be called a PDA. Smartphones have mostly taken over although few have really been as good as a Palm for the basic PIM tasks.

I have strenuously avoided Vista but I know Palm Desktop works fine on Window XP machines.

Transferring from one Palm device to another is easy. I've done it with the infrared ports. IR has pretty much gone the way of the wild goose but it worked like a charm for me. I've done it between Palms and older Windows Mobile machines as well. These are not the same as the newer Windows Phone 7 operating system, by the way.

You can sync a Palm with Microsoft Outlook but you still need Palm Desktop to set up the Outlook conduits so that does you no good.

If you need an unconnected PDA as opposed to a smartphone, many hereon have said that an Ipod Touch is quite a good PDA. I believe it will sync with Outlook. Samsung is coming out with a similar device called a Galaxy Player which used the Android operating system. It should be able to sync with Outlook on your computer via wifi.

All this is still leaving you with a gap between your present and future PDA and your Vista computer. Without some sort of workaround involving an older Windows computer, I don't know how to bridge it but maybe somebody else here does.

3. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

You have two hurdles. One is loading, installing and function of the Palm desktop and hotsync manager. There are reports that Vista 64 can handle the Palm desktop via compatibility mode.

The second will be to establish communications between the laptop and IIIc via the serial communications of the Palm. This will require a Serial to USB adapter compatible with the VISTA system.

A pure PDA only have been released in years. A newer Palm like a TX may make the connection issue out of the equation. And some have adapted a iTouch for some of the functions.

All the best.

4. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

I have heard that there is an infrared dongle for the pc that with the use of the correct desktop software could work.

5. mshack

mshack Newbie

I've been able to install Palm Desktop 6.2.2 on my new 64 bit Win 7 machine and using a USB to serial converter I've been able to get the PC to recognize the Palm IIIc and to sync. but when I looked at my Datebook, Address Book, To Do and Memos on the PC, the Palm Desktop didn't show any of the entries that are in the Palm IIIc. I then downloaded the application from Pimlico called PalmHotsyncSetup and now all is fine! For more information go to the III series thread and look for the post on "palm-iiix-laptop-windows-7-outlook-2010". The information is in reb 1's post of 06-26-2011, 07:44 PM

Mike

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

This an important detail. The old Palm III uses the old set of Palm PIM databases: Datebook, Address Book, ToDos, Memos. In order to update the storage, that will eventually allow to upgrade device, the OP must consider the following, as well as yourself: in the HotSync Manager, you have to reaim the conduits in order to make them sync to the newer set of Palm PIM databases: Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Memos.

AFAIR, there used to be a given Palm Desktop version intended for "very legacy" devices, like the Palm III. If I were right, then I'd suggest to install it first, achieve a successful sync assembly into Outlook, and only then install a much newer version in order to synce said newer device.