Palm Desktop with WINE

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by bpalone, Mar 20, 2018.

1. bpalone

bpalone Newbie

First let me state that I have been using the Palm Desktop for the better part of seventeen (17) years. There was a short period of time where I used J-Pilot, but I preferred the Palm Desktop. That was when I found that version 3.0.1 (the one that comes on the Handspring CD) worked quite well using WINE. The one drawback, is that you have to use a serial cradle for syncing.

Just recently had to upgrade my OS and had an issue getting my Handspring Visor to sync. It turned out to be a permissions issue regarding the serial port. I know this is ancient technology, but it still does what I need done and I like it. Plus, I feel that my data is just a bit more private. Who really knows just what your cell phone is handing out these days?

Here is my setup and installation, etc.:

Dell Latitude D620, 4 gig memory

Linux Mint 18.1 32 bit (edit) -> Mate Desktop

WINE from repository

Handspring Install CD

After installing the Palm Desktop I could not get my Visor to sync. I didn’t recall having to do anything special on my older install, and was at a loss. After several hours of searching the internet, I found a piece of something that led to the solution. The thing to remember is that everything is a file in linux. Found that by changing the permission on /dev/ttyS0 allowed for syncing. So, added the following line to /etc/rc.local:

chmod 777 /dev/ttyS0

Rebooted to be sure that I could still sync and found that all was good. Now, I don’t have any experience with an USB-to-Serial, but might have a similar issue.

I also don’t know if there is a way to get a USB Cradle to work with the Palm Desktop using WINE or not. I had a Serial Cradle, so no need to fight with it. Serial Cradles can still be found on flea bay and Amazon.

Just thought I would pass this on, in case there are some other die hards like me or maybe some of the younger generation looking for a more simple solution to organization.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Welcome to Brighthand, bpalone!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hook, lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

What jigwashere said, and a great first post!

4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Very nice, thanks bpalone. I may just have to try that with my Ubuntu set-up., though not sure how soon I'll have the time.

5. bpalone

bpalone Newbie

Thanks for the welcomes. Forgot to include my desktop in original post, so edited it.

Hook and lelisa13p like this.