palm desktop mac os x

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by ian_s, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ian_s

ian_s Newbie

Hi,
    I recently suffered a hard drive crash. Upon restoring, Palm desktop will no longer read the user date file. The file doesn't have an Icon.

When I click on i,t Palm desktop opens, but goes to import, and the import preview shows random characters.

I can open the file in text edit and see my contact data.

I have tried many things but no luck. I wonder if anyone knows the file extension for the user data file? or any other solutions to see the data in palm desktop?
    Thanks,
    Ian

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Do you still have the data on a Palm device? You could hotsync it back over. This time remember to export the data from Palm Desktop. That's how I migrated to Blackberry and eventually to iPhone. You can then import it to iCal, address, etc.

As for what that file is named... I'm running Lion and I haven't been able to run Palm Desktop since I got Snow Leopard ( a really long time) but I took a look at my (now dormant) files. They are in a file called ~/Documents/Palm/Users/yourhotsyncname/User Data, where ~ is an alias for your home folder. There is no file extension and OSX Lion doesn't know how to open the file so "show package contents" is missing. I took a look at the file in textwrangler. Sure enough, it has some plain text but it is surrounded by a lot of binary. The file isn't like an excel csv file you can simply open with a text editor and get everything out. The file date says I haven't touched it since June 2010 and even then all I was doing was firing up Palm Desktop to examine my old address book to recover from the mess Missing Sync and Blackberry Desktop Manager were making of my data. If I get a chance, I'll fire up my old G4 which can still run Palm Desktop and see what the file looks like over there.

3. ian_s

ian_s Newbie

Thanks for the reply Jeff.
    I dont have a PDA so I can't hotsync.

I feel the issue is that the user data file is only seen as a plain document, not something Palm desktop will recognize.
    If I had the correct extension added to the file, I would hope:
    1. the icon would change to palm.
    2.File kind as listed in the finder window.
    3. Palm desktop would recognize it.

Ian

I was able to figure out the extension... it is .dat this changes the icon and kind, But palm desktop still doesn't like the file.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012