Palm Desktop/Mac/Nokia E71 Harmony Desperately Needed!

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by nattyred, Jul 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nattyred

nattyred Newbie

Palm Desktop/Mac/Nokia E71 Harmony Desperately Needed!

Hi, Help. I can't find an answer anywhere..... I just got a Black Macbook. It's awesome. No issues. I switched from a PC laptop and had my tech guy transfer all of my data, including my Palm Zire 71 information, ie. 5 yrs of ALL business and personally related items. MY LIFE is in there.

The facts:

We had to transfer the Zire 71 data from the PC to the Mac and it landed in ICal and Address Book (which I absolutely hate after using the awesome, colorful, logical and readable Palm Desktop software). Mac is SO utilitarian, tiny and unpleasant. Business people like myself are staring at their schedule and contacts about 70% of the time on their computer, and 30% of the time on their portable device. If I have to look at, and deal with, ICal and "address book" all day long I'll be very unhappy and unimpressed. Ok, I can't do it. I must find a way around this. I don't drive a silver car either. : ) The "emerald" backdrop on the new Palm software is awesome.

My tech guy downloaded the latest Palm Desktop onto my Mac because the old Palm Desktop I had was 5 yrs old and a no go. So, the new Palm Desktp is sitting there empty but I played with it, color-wise and it's even more pleasant and logical than the old one. I want to be able to use it very badly. Yes, I guess I'm an addict. I know this now. : ) Well, Mac's lack of personality made it easy. I love everything else about my Mac though!

I have yet to buy a new smartphone, actually am waiting here in Toronto for an unlocked version of the Nokia E71-2 to come into the importer that I deal with. I really want this phone. It's amazing. I am afraid to buy it now that I know that I HATE Mac's Desktop versions of managing one's life and business.

HERE IS MY (URGENT) DREAM:

1) Find a way to get my LIFE from the ICal and Address Book into the new Palm Desktop on my Mac. I can't guess. I can't risk losing any info. As it stands now, I only have one source of it, the one in ICal and Address Book. (and that is really inconvenient, but I must wait for the phone so I can sync away). My TO DO list is huge. I've used it over the years with tons of categories and info on many subjects that matter to me and are relevant. I can't lose that stuff either. I also have about 350 contacts in 8 or so categories, and a vital, busy schedule in there. I am at your mercy oh geek Gods...sigh...tech growing pains here...bear with me.... lol

2) Buy the Nokia E71-2 smartphone.

3) Be able to Sync my data from the new Palm Desktop to my new Nokia phone. I MUST have it in 2 places simultaneously and these are the 2 places that I want it to be.

HELP????? Someone, some genius out there, please make my day. : ) (asap, when the phone's in, very soon, I'll have to grab it quickly to get my hands on it). THANKS A MILLION.

2. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

thr data can be exported into .csv formats that can be read by ical and palm desktop. the e71 would sync directly with ical so you don't need the palm desktop playing middleman.

3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Welcome to Brighthand, nattyred.

I'm not the one who can help you. We have a lot of Mac folks here, but it is a weekend, so they may take awhile to show up.

However, one thing would be good to know. Do you still have the PC laptop available with your old Palm Desktop and data?

4. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

I was going to suggest the Missing Sync from Mark/Space but I checked their site and don't see any Nokia support. Perhaps fiddling with that and iCal you could come up with a workable solution.

Disclosure: Not a Mac user, just trying to be helpful.

5. nattyred

nattyred Newbie

Thanks, but sorry, I'm confused by your last sentence. I want to use the Palm Desktop with my Nokia E71. I hate ICal and Address Book in my Mac. Could you try to explain again please, this time in a "Synching for Dummies" way? Thanks. : )

6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Ok. Palm desktop cannot sync directly wtih a Nokia E71. Palm desktop is designed to sync with a Palm device. The Nokia E71 is NOT a Palm device, it runs Nokia's Series 60 Symbian operating system.

What this means for you is that iCal and Address Book are the default sync options for you. As far as I know (and if anyone else knows differently, please jump in) there's no easy way to share information across iCal and Palm Desktop regularly. Palm does not own the software for the Palm Desktop and the software has not updated well for Macs, so there is no easy way for it to reliably stay in sync with iCal unless you sync your Zire 71 to iCal, then switch to Palm Desktop every time you want to sync.

To best sync your Nokia E71 you should download the iSync plugin for the E71. Since the E71 has just been officially released in North America there is no plugin if you go to Nokia's North American website. I think there was a Euro version so I am sure the NA one is coming.

Your only other choice besides iCal/Address book is Microsoft Entourage. Entourage has an automatic sync option with iCal, so if you add a calendar entry to iCal it shows up in Entourage and vice versa. This would allow you to sync the E71 to iCal but use Entourage, which is more similar to the Palm desktop than iCal is. I have a friend who does this with her iPhone and it works great.

I hope this clarified things for you a bit. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.