Palm Desktop for CLIÉ to Palm Desktop 6.2 by ACESSS

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by AMG-NY, Jun 21, 2012.

1. AMG-NY

AMG-NY Mobile Enthusiast

Ok so I have a serious problem.

I use to have an old Sony Clie S360 that hasn't worked for years. I finally decided to get a Palm TX. Now i'm trying to export all the data that i've collected for years on the palm desktop for CLIE version 4.0.1 onto Palm Desktop version 6.2.2 by ACCESS (the one that the Palm TX) uses but I've ran into a problem. I exported the data into 4 different file extensions because I wasn't sure which file type the Desktop by ACCESS would be able to read, well it turns out that it doesn't read any 4 of those different file extensions. (.vcf .aba .csv/.txt .tab/.txt) The Palm Desktop by ACCESS only allows you to import .dba and .vcs file extensions.

My question is what do I do now? Is there some kind of converter?

Cliffs:

Have Sony CLIE, its broken
    Bought a Palm TX
    Tried to export files from Palm Desktop for CLIE to Palm Desktop by ACCESS
    The file extensions are incompatible and I can't import them into the new Palm Desktop.

Need Help

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

My Palm TXs use V.4.2, which came on the Installation CD. What OS and computer are you using? The Access Desktop is pitiful.

I think that you can also use v.4.1.4, downloadable from Palm/HP (link is for Palm E2 but it doesn't matter.) There are also Palm TX Installation CDs available for sale via PalmDR.

Someone else will have to address the import/export data question because I'm not personally familiar with available methods. You should be advised that the the conduits for PIM data on TX are not the same as the ones used by Clie.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  3. AMG-NY

AMG-NY Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for your response I didn't know that I could use an older version of Palm Desktop with the Palm TX. I am using a laptop with Windows XP. Why do you say that the Palm Desktop 6.2 by ACCESS is pitiful? It looks similar to the 4.4 version. Also I have a question, what does this mean, "the conduits for PIM data on TX are not the same as Clie"

What I gather from it, it means that the information is stored differently on the TX vs the Clie?

Also I downloaded and installed the Palm Desktop v.4.1.4, that you mentioned and to my surprise it ALLOWS you to import the exact same file extensions as the CLIE! However when I looked at the link you provided it says that these devices are supported by this version, so I'm not sure if the TX will be compatible with it. I will be receiving my TX in the mail tomorrow, so I will then be able to try and hotsync it with my computer and see what happens. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you very much, I really appreciate you help.

Palm devices

Tungsten C, E, T, T2, T3, W
    Zire 71, 31, 21, Zire2
    Palm m500, m100 series
    Palm VII, V, III series
    Palm i705
    Pilot

4. AMG-NY

AMG-NY Mobile Enthusiast

Wow hahah I just made a big mistake, regarding the import/export and file extension and being non-compatible with version 6.2 While trying to import the files from the Palm Desktop CLIE to the ACESS 6.2 version I had the "date icon" selected (on the left hand side) So when I tried to import the information, it did not allow me to. However I just clicked the "address icon" on the left hand side and then hit import and it ALLOWED me to import the old files from the Palm for CLIE software to the 6.2 Access version. Thank you very much for your help, however I would still like to know why you think the 6.2version is pitiful? maybe I'll go with the 4.1v instead.

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

By the time the Access version was released, Palm was already in trouble and no longer developed their own Desktop software. The Access versions are bare-bones, without a lot of the features that previous Palm Desktops had. I'm hazy on the specifics since it's been a while and like I said, I use the version that came on the TX Installation CD (my other Palm devices in my signature all used v. 4.1.4.) It seems like the v.6.2 was missing the ability to color code entries and also Media/Photo, Documents, or some of those extras. The Installation CD that I linked to is only $5, if you should want to order one. The vendor is well known to our community and also quite reputable.

I also run WinXP Pro SP3.

PIMs on Palm TX use Calendar, Contacts, Memos and Tasks, while earlier Palm devices used Date Book, Address Book, Memo Pad and To Do. Desktops installed both sets of conduits and you must be sure to only use the ones for TX, setting the older conduits to Do Nothing as the default setting.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  6. AMG-NY

AMG-NY Mobile Enthusiast

whats the difference between an installation CD and downloading it off the site you linked me to?

7. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

The installation CD often has a desktop that is especially well tweaked to the device. The version of Palm Desktop for the TX is version 4.2 which isn't even available for download from Palm. It also included things like an easy method for switching between Palm Desktop and Outlook and other extras.