Palm Desktop 6 themes or colors?

Discussion in 'Themes and Skins (Palm OS)' started by fulg2, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fulg2

fulg2 Behind the Curve

Just upgraded to the Centro. The new palm desktop 6.2.2 that came with it has a monochomatic light blue color scheme that is simultaneously jarring and mind-numbing. The different colors for the different categories are gone.

Is there any option for changing this or installing a theme or something? I've looked at this thread but the link is dead, and I can't find any .ini files under the themes directory (which is empty--I guess a theme needs to be installed first?). The softonic theme download seems to be for the desktop 4.1, and I don't know if it would work with 6.2.

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Are you using XP or Vista? If you are using XP, you are better off using PD version 4.2 that came with your TX. The version that comes with the Centro is the one that was created by Access for Vista and it is stripped of much of its functionality.

I don't know about Palm Desktop themes, but you'll probably have a better Palm Desktop experience by reverting to 4.2

3. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

I don't think any third-party has made themes for the disappointing Access Desktop. We would be seeing a bunch of posts about it already.

4. fulg2

fulg2 Behind the Curve

How would one revert to 4.2 from 6.2?

Does everyone's version of 4.2 still have the bug of defaulting to the 2031 date for all new tasks? At least 6.2.2 doesn't have that glitch. It is well nigh unreadable, though.

Perhaps time to cave to MS Outlook. No, I just can't, I love T'bird. Is there some kind of open source calendar/contacts/task manager that plays nice with Palm?

5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

You would revert by uninstalling everything and starting as if installing the first time.

I have no idea what glitch you are talking about, but I use Outlook rather than Palm Desktop (I don't use Outlook for email. Since all my email other than work is web based, and work gives me a Brickberry for that, I have no use for an email client).

I know of no open source client that works well with a Palm on Windows.

6. fulg2

fulg2 Behind the Curve

The website for downloading palm desktop 4.1.4e aka 4.2 does not list the Centro as a compatible device. Is anybody sure it will work.

I'm also trying out Agendus, which does allow colors for the different categories, but adds a whole host of other problems, such as not printing complete entries in the month view.

If there are any other palm desktop enhancements other than Agendus, please let me know.

7. fulg2

fulg2 Behind the Curve

to update, I ended up having to revert to Palm desktop version 4.1.4e anyway because PC Law's TE module is totally incompatible with Palm desktop 6. As the PC Law Tech support person pointed out, Palm desktop version 4.1.4e is listed as being compatible with the Palm TX, which is also compatible with Desktop ver. 6. I uninstalled version 6 and reverted back and 4.1.4e seems to be playing well with the Centro. Interestingly, the problem of no-date tasks defaulting to December 31, 2031 has mysteriously gone away.

8. Gatorcoach

Gatorcoach Newbie

I also posted on another thread but since this one is similar I 'll give it a try as well. I reverted back to version 4.1.4 and it is working fine, including the variety of themes. However, I cannot get pictures into my phone. When I sync the pictures are on my desktop and the sync log says "ok" but they do not appear on my phone.

Any thoughts?

9. fulg2

fulg2 Behind the Curve

10. auderey

auderey Newbie

i talked to a palm support person this morning who assured me that the centro will sync with 4.x - BUT- no media: so pictures and video WILL NOT sync if you revert.

i tried to revert and it's not flawless. i think i'll be able to sort things out with a reboot, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.