Palm Contacts On Usb Flash Drive

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by pilita, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

Update regarding my experience running Mojo under TrueCrypt 4.3a:

Background: I'd TrueCrypted a 250 gig WD Passport & had it hooked up to the Asus EPC. (Note: Mojo is currently not compatible with TrueCrypt 5x, so I used 4.3a.)

I was able to get Quicken running with no apparent problems. But for some reason, eventhough I was installing ACDSee Photo Manager 10 from the Mojo screen, it would show up on the desktop of the Asus. I uninstalled & reinstalled it twice, to insure I was doing it correctly. So after the couple of days I'd spent dinking with this, I decided to bag Mojo at this time, since I normally would only be using it on the Asus anyway, rather than other computers. And with the Passport TC'd, most people should not be able to get into the sensitive programs anyway.

So right now, I have the Asus EPC set up with fairly generic things and have the TC'd Passport for more sensitve data.

I may revisit this someday, because it would be nifty to be able to grab the Passport & be able to use it on any computer. Ok, for me, it's pretty much the "hip" factor, rather than a pragmatic reason. :rolleyes: :p :eek: :cool:

2. cyberdude2

cyberdude2 It's SuperDad!

Sorry it didn't work out for you SR.:( The few things I've put on my external USB drive under Mojopac have worked without a hitch. I wonder if TCing the drive could have anything to do with it? Well when I get a new USB drive (I didn't see the deal on passports in time), I'll try using TC to see if it is that. (notice I said when, my wife keeps saying if):D

3. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

No problem, CD! It's good to know about Mojo & yeah, I suspect the problem is something to do with TC. But for my (current) purpose, I'd rather have the encryption, in the event the Passport got lost or stolen.

:D :D :D :D Well, IMO, with the amount of data many of us have on our computers now (documents, photos, home movies), the sale prices of most USB drives is a small price to pay to have backups. The next USB drive I get will be one of two that is routinely swapped out from our safe deposit box - it will have backups of our home movies. (Our photos & documents are stored "offsite" via Jungle Disk. Movies are just too big to upload, tho.)

I see Passports now come in purple. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. cyberdude2

cyberdude2 It's SuperDad!

In case you didn't already realize, I'm compulsive when it comes to backups with my TX (3 BU apps running sequencially every night - Backupman, Resco BackupPro, NVBackup) and my work computers (RAID and a 1 TB USB/firewire backup drive), but when it comes to my home computer, I'm not so good. I do have a 500gb freeagent backup drive for home that syncs with the desktop weekly. But I never thought of taking another USB drive and swapping it out to a safety deposit box - great idea!

5. jim37

jim37 just me, no title

Yeah, there's more to the story, though...

I cleaned my data off of the "good" Passport and packaged it up. Took it back to Target. Asked to speak to a manager. After going round and round with my case, she finally decided that if I wanted to return it, she would give me only the current ($22.50) price. Um... not the point at all. I wanted to buy it for $22, not sell it for $22.

Then she decided that hard drives weren't returnable if opened, even though I had returned the "bad" Passport the day before. We finally got someone to approve the return. And it did automatically refund the amount I had paid.

Then I asked what was going to happen to the drive. She said that someone would tape it up and distribute it out to the floor to be sold. For what price? The current price of $22. So just to make a point, I said OK, if you are going to try to get a customer to buy it, you've got one standing in front of you who is willing and able.

She wouldn't sell it to me! Said it was "policy" not to do that. I told her she was shooting herself in the foot, since the intent was to SELL the darn thing but she'd rather put it on the shelf instead of selling it to me?

Finally another (senior) manager came over and told her it was OK to sell it to me for the $22 price.

So... in the end, I did go back to the store, and essentially got the difference between the prices refunded to me. I did manage to point that out as I walked out the door.

Geesh! Retail people.... (and I used to manage RadioShack stores myself)