Palm Contacts On Usb Flash Drive

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by pilita, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim37

jim37 just me, no title

Cool! I'd never seen the "official" Wiki page before <hehe>

The other kind of magic smoke is here for Silly Rabbit.

Getting back on topic, this Mojo stuff is intriguing. I've been looking at small portable hard drives and noticed that many of the write-ups include RPM and cache stats. Bigger is better, right?

What about the difference between USB and FireWire drives? I know that just about all recent computers are USB2 capable, but there are lots that are FireWire, too. Is a drive that does both worth seeking out?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

afaik, Firewire is substantially faster than USB2; finding a drive that supports both comms might be worth the time & effort if you reasonably expected to need to use the drive on a number of computers, some of which had only one of the com-schemes, the rest of which only had the other. just my 2¢ ;)

3. Omegan

Omegan Expert newbie...?

Well, that's disappointing...not only has magic smoke escaped from who knows what parts of my old PC, I installed Mojopac on my external hard drive, (really fast, I had installed that and firefox AND flash before 20 minutes had passed), and then I installed Palm desktop, and...well...it doesn't open. Plus Quick Install decided...not to install, I guess would be the way to put it. I think it's that little folder thingy between Palm Desktop and Docs to Go icons. Take a look below.

[​IMG]

Argh! When I clicked Palm desktop, it just sat there and mocked me for...well, it didn't stop. :( I tried closing down Mojo and restarting. I seem to remember my 4GB stick did exactly the same thing when I tried installing Palm software, it just took over an hour instead of 10 minutes. I'm giving up for tonight, but if you find that it works for you, Silly Rabbit, please let me know what you did! Other programs seem to install okay. The manual lists a page for compatible software, but the link is to a page that is no longer on the website.

Oh, and Cyberdude, I agree, best to get an external with both USB and firewire options. The sales guy sold me on that when I bought my enclosure (which is a bit noisy, it has its own fan), but unfortunately, my 4 year old laptop couldn't use the firewire connection. However, when I buy or build my new computer, I will be looking for firewire because it's so much faster than USB2. With peripherals you buy the best you can to be forward compatible. (That's why my laptop is still going strong, all I've replaced is the hard drive...come to think of it, I think I lost a little magic smoke from the old hard drive...)

Night everyone, I'm putting my laptop to sleep for the night :p I'll play with this thing again on the weekend!

PS: not sure how to work the attachment thingy, but the preview shows a link AND a thumbnail, so I guess you'll be able to look at the screen shot!

Attached Files:

4. jim37

jim37 just me, no title

Yeah. I got Firewire on my present computer (a Dell that was built for me a couple of years ago) on the expectation that I might use it sometime down the road. This might just be the time!

My present 4G USB stick is crazy slow for Portable Apps. I don't think I'll subject myself to trying Mojo on it.

5. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

From what I've seen, Firewire is another Apple thing that is being ignored by everyone else. Firewire ports started appearing on most laptops for awhile, and now they seem to be disappearing. I've never seen a peripheral that used it.

6. cyberdude2

cyberdude2 It's SuperDad!

There are 2 firewire speeds 400 and 800. The current drive I have for an external backup for my server at work has both firewire ports and a USB2 port.

If you are looking at putting firewire into a computer that doesn't have it it is fairly easy. If you are comfortable opening up your computer, you can just pick up a card at a decent electronics store or order one from an internet store (I like the former so I can return easily). I installed one on my old computer at home a couple of years ago to connect to my camcorder.

7. Omegan

Omegan Expert newbie...?

Actually...I have a peripheral (external hard drive enclosure) that has firewire, but my laptop doesn't. My next computer will, though. :) But you're right, you don't see it everywhere, and mostly on high end computers. If it disappears, my enclosure is also USB 2 compatible, so I will just say, "Oh well. Didn't spend as much as on that Beta VCR way back when." :D

8. jim37

jim37 just me, no title

I don't know how many of you US residents have a local Target store, but I just stumbled across a deal.

Western Digital Passport 120gig:
    • Regular price is $89.99
    • Discontinued price is $62.98
    • Price on Monday, 4/21 is $22.98

I bought two of them today on assurances that I could bring in the receipt on Monday and get the difference refunded to me.

Unfortunately, one of the drives is bad, and the next closest store with any inventory is more than an hour and a half away. :(

9. jim37

jim37 just me, no title

Well, Target wouldn't give me the price difference back.

Now they say that the policy only applies to regular items that go on sale. Clearance items do not qualify for the price drops. Funny how they didn't make that distinction when I asked the first time.

Well, they can have it back and give me a full refund. Good luck selling the hard drive with an opened blister pack, obviously used.

10. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

FWIW, $63 for a 120 gig Passport is not too shabby, anyway. :)