Palm 680 Headset?

Discussion in 'Treo 680' started by Aznav, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aznav

Aznav Newbie

Newbie, here. Can someone PLEASE give me a final answer on this life-important question? I have a Palm 680. It's older than Methuselah. Not till next May (2011) can I upgrade (for those of you that are wondering...).
    I have not one but two Palm Stereo 2 in 1 PRO headsets. They make great stereo but the mic does not work. Been to several websites (including Palm). Half says they work with the 680. Half say no. Now, given the age of my 680, it may be possible it is just flat broken. However, the older cheapy Palm headsets work. I ask this because I wear hearing aids and, obviously, they don't work together with the headset. Man, what I wouldn't give for those Palm Pro's to work with the 680. I'd even buy a used but good 680 IF I thought they'd work with the Pro's. Also, if you happen to know a headset that would work with the 680 please let me know. Oh, I've tried the 3.5 to 2.5 conversion jacks. Junk.
  2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Aznav, welcome to Brighthand!

I used the OEM Palm headset with my Treo 680 until it broke. I can still fix it, though. It seems that the jack got fowled up but it's just a minor task to get the little jack and do a replacement. Now this is the jack that simply worked the best with my 680. Other jacks in other headsets didn't work EXACTLY fine, but rather passable. About a month ago, my dad inherited me the stereo + mic headset that came bundled with his Treo 755p, and guess what, not even this has a jack that fits EXACTLY in the 680 just as the original; it's a little bit loose. But it gets the job done, and it buys me some time to keep on procrastinating the repair of the original headset :)D).

In a world so cluttered with standards for everything, you tell me WTF can be the difference in manufacturing a thing so simple as a little audio jack, but the fact is that there are minor differences even with generic components (I mean, not just with those belonging to dedicated architectures). For the sake of curiosity, you try to use one of your headsets, and while connected to the Treo 680, try to pull it just a bit outwards; perhaps you'll find a position in which it works fine. If so, then you should get some kind of little plastic o-ring that fits at the base of the little jack's prong and put it there to regulate the entrance into the plug; you ain't got no o-ring handy, then insert several layers of masking tape and cut away the rest around the jack's base, until you got enough. It worked for me with several jacks in assorted devices, cause I discovered that the most significant variation among similar audio jacks is not diameter, but length. The specific length of each connector, and the distance among connectors, is usually the same, but the final prong length can have significant variations, leading to a different depth seat when you insert it in a given plug. And if you overpose or skip connectors in the plug with connectors in the jack, there you are, you got issues.