Outlook-Android Sync without cloud for free

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by early_cheryl, Oct 14, 2011.

1. early_cheryl

early_cheryl Mobile Enthusiast

Hi all - I've been a member here for a while, but mostly lurking, reading and learning from all of y'all... Thanks for all your help

I've been a PDA user from wayyyyy back - started with Sharp Organizers, later moved through several Palms. I need a silicone brain! When my TX died last year, I reverted to an old Z72. When it started dying a few months ago, I started researching replacements and settled on Android OS - and the Archos 43 internet tablet (don't want a phone, just a brain).

Anyway to the subject matter - I've found a program that seems to work pretty well for syncing - called "Local Sync" by Ondřej Pšenčík. I had some trouble finding it in the Market, but it's there. He also has a website - but you'll have to Google it - since I haven't made five posts yet, I'm not allowed to post links. The program works over WiFi - no cloud involvement at all (also possibility of USB sync, but I haven't tried that).

It takes some fiddling to get it set up - read the instructions on the website, and the Q&A carefully. But it seems to be working very well with a two-way sync - I've nuked it and re-sync'd four or five times now (just to be sure I can) and made changes on both sides which were passed through successfully. Calendar and Contacts go to the device calendar and contacts (but NOT the Google ones, the local ones). For Tasks and Notes, he includes two programs called "Simple Tasks" and "Simple Notes" in the Android package.

And finally - it's free.

Hope it helps someone...

Cheryl

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Belated welcome to Brighthand, Cheryl! :)

3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

4. early_cheryl

Thanks for the welcome - although I actually joined the forum several years ago - I must have posted something somewhere, or I would probably not have registered...

And thanks for posting the link for me <G>

Cheryl

5. tbessie

tbessie PIM-Loving Maniac

Welcome Cherry!

PS I think you mean a silicon brain.
    Silicone is an industrial compound and is not the same thing as silicon. :)

- Tim

6. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Yes, silicone is for breasts, not brains.

7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

And those possessing the latter rarely subject themselves to the phony-baloney former. ;)

8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Hey! My dad does that for work. Putting the phony-baloney in place, not measuring the patients' IQ :D :D

<And silicon is not for brains either. It's just for artificial data-processing devices. The human brain is essentially super-evolved... fat> :rolleyes:

9. early_cheryl

:eek: OOPS!!! Yes, y'all are right - silicon, not silicone. I need the former, have none of the latter (and am very very red in the face right now). Ah, well - I just proved the point about needing the brain!

I've since played with the files sync function - it seems to also work well - syncing directories between device and PC - closest thing I've found to a one-touch HotSync so far (of course, I haven't been looking very long)

Cheryl

10. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

early_cheryl, belated welcome to Brighthand! :)

What task and note apps do you use on your Android device, that sync to Outlook? :confused: