out of context quotes

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Jun 17, 2008.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Love the clip. Especially the "I don't want something even better. I want coffee!" line. Spoken like a true lover.

I haven't watched the whole ST Voyager series, but still, Janeway is my 3rd favorite ST captain after Picard and Sulu.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 4 others like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

3. RickAgresta

I really needed to learn not to provoke a woman. It was bad for my health.
    ====================
    Given the choice between dealing with a tornado-tossed plane or coming to terms with someone shooting my ex in the ass, I went with the plane. I could understand planes. When they weren’t tossed out of the sky, they flew rather reliably. Most didn’t end up the chew toy of a twister, but that was hardly the plane’s fault.
    ====================
    Underneath the dread, the fear, and the resentment I’d harbored was a masochist, as I had no other explanation as to why I hadn’t run for the hills, pleaded for mercy, or responded with the flight instinct sane men displayed when in the presence of a woman too much to handle.
    ====================
    “I’m going home and becoming a hermit. No one is invited except for Kitten, Destroyer of Worlds.”
    “I still can’t believe you named your kitten that.”
    “That’s what cats do. They plan to take over the world, and once they have done so, they destroy it for it’s no longer interesting for them.”
    “I’m concerned for your kitten’s safety.”
    “You’re joking, right? That little demon is going to cost me at least eighty bucks a month to feed. No one told me kittens cost a fortune when I rescued her off my car. By the end of the weekend, she made it perfectly clear who owned my house. Hint: it’s not me.”
    ====================
    “You have mud streaked across your nose.”
    “That’s nice. Is it a good color on me?”
    ====================
    I’d survived a plane crash and a tornado with her. A hotel room was nothing compared to that. I’d take one bed, she’d take the other, and I would spend a sleepless night pretending beds didn’t exist so I wouldn’t splash in the gutter designated for perverts and think too hard about a lot of things better off forgotten. There would be no fraternizing with my ex in a posh hotel room.
    ====================
    I really needed to stop accepting the things I couldn’t change. One day, it would probably get me killed.
    ====================
    “How the hell are you so damned awake?”
    “Magic.”
    I blinked. Was she being serious or brushing me off? If I asked, would I make things worse? Could they get worse? I wanted to offer her a second chance at ex sex to redeem myself—or at least restore some of my bruised dignity. Curiosity won over annoyance and frustration, and I sighed. “Magic?”
    “I’m a shocker, a low grade but rather useful talent. In short, I stole some electricity from the hotel and gave myself a boost.”
    I groaned and watched her through the window’s reflection. “That was awful.”
    “Awful? What are you talking about?” She shot me a glance before returning her attention to the road.
    “In short? A boost?”
    The silence lasted well over a minute. “I didn’t mean it!”
    “Shocking.”
    Kennedy flipped her middle finger at me.
    “You’re saying you needed to use magic to recover.” Relief and satisfaction led to a rather inappropriate smirk.
    “How the hell else was I supposed to get out of bed and drive anywhere today? I didn’t think you’d actually mean it when you said the entire night. Warn a woman next time!”

<respectful snip!>

“So, I don’t have to beg for a redo?”
    “I had to use magic to restore base functionality this morning. Actual magic. You reduced me to needing magic to crawl out of bed—and I mean crawl. I had to shower because I couldn’t get my leg over the tub’s ledge.”
    ====================
    “I have no idea what I did to make people want to either kill me or kidnap me and dump me in Mississippi. My life is boring, I make other people money, and I try to make as few ripples as possible. I have no idea what I did, I swear.”
    “You rescued a kitten that should be filed as a weapon of biological warfare. That’s hardly boring.”

scjjtt likes this.
  4. RickAgresta

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

scjjtt, Mi An, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  5. RickAgresta

“So basically, my mantra should be something along the lines of ‘pretty as elf, vicious as Viking?’ The actual Vikings are probably rolling in their graves. I don’t even want to ask about the elves."
    ==============================
    It took five minutes to catch my kitten, who insisted on zipping between my feet, climbing places she shouldn’t, and otherwise doing her best to drive me insane. When I got my hands on her, she mewed, nuzzled me, and purred, thus dodging the scolding she rightfully deserved.
    Damned cat.

jigwashere and Dngrsone like this.
  6. RickAgresta

Dngrsone, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Scrubbing Bubbles.jpg

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Several years ago I did go through the series & was glad I did. I had put myself in their shoes thinking what it would be like to be cast so far away from earth that it would take 75 years, at warp speed, to get back to earth.

The series had a fantastic ending too - I highly recommend for you to watch it to the end!

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

Mi An, lelisa13p, Dngrsone and 3 others like this.
  9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I like the premise of ST:Voyager, but IMO it seems kind of hard to believe that the crew would accept enduring such a long voyage knowing most of them would die of old age before arriving. Kind of like Battlestar Galactica, except the crew of BSG had no idea how long it would take to reach Earth, just hoped they would reach it before the Cylons killed them all. If I'd been in Voyager, I guess I'd jump ship at the first habitable planet found.

I don't remember how far I went into the series. I think it was before season 4, since I don't remember seeing the Borg or Species 8472. I'm guessing that's when the series became more interesting. I think I'll follow Scott's recommendation and give it a try again now that I have lots of free time at night :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Mi An, lelisa13p, Dngrsone and 4 others like this.
  10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Of course the crew did not know when they started on the trip that they would be sucked into a ''powerful energy wave'' that would put them ''70,000 light-years from Earth'' (thanks Wikipedia).

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, raspabalsa and jigwashere like this.