Opinion on Blackberry Bold

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by Matt J, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gasan

Gasan Mobile Enthusiast

Well if its for bussiness and you do a lot of emails the bb is the way to go,however if you considering the android system then remember this its a google device you can access anything from google but i still prefer bb as it works and has been proven over and over.

2. Kerryd

Kerryd Mobile Deity

I had a Treo 680 and switched to a BlackBerry Bold. There's no comparison. The Bold is fabulous and in fact incredible. There's no reason to hesitate on this decision at all.

3. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Matt, remember, most carriers allow you a 30 day trial. You might grit your teeth and try one for a couple weeks. It took me that long to get used to the changes from my treo 755p, and previous palm devices.

4. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

To complicate matters, I heard that a new Blackberry Bold with an optical "trackball" will be coming out. The Treo 680 is still alive and performing... so I will wait an see.

5. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

Matt, I might mention here, one of the main reasons I switched from my 755p, was syncing with my work's email. The other was the small size of the curve. Even now after 3 or 4 months, I still miss some of the features of the palm, over the BB. For instance, my treo's keyboard was WAY better than the blackberry (my opinion), and many things on the palm that were one or two steps, might be 2 or 3 steps on the blackberry. I hear the bold's keyboard is superior to my curve's. If you haven't played with one in the store, do.

All said and done though, I am liking my BB curve better than my 755p.

6. r0k

r0k Dazed

The first time I picked up a Blackberry, I was put off by the crappy browser and the trackball. After suffering with a Verizonized 755p for too long, I got angry after losing my bluetooth pairings for about the 75th time and sold all my Palm gear on ebay and purchased a used BB 8830 on ebay, sight unseen. I had had enough. I also installed PocketMac before my new phone even arrived. I had already exported all my data from Palm Desktop and imported it to ical, etc and was ready to sync within minutes of my new phone's arrival. Actually, I sold off the Treos after I had the BB working, but I had already made the decision before the BB arrived. After about 3 days, I realized how wonderful it was to be without a touchscreen. I realized just how wonderful the trackball can be.

There are features on modern phones that I would never do without now that I have them.
    1 - auto brightness
    2 - real keyboard lock that really really works
    3 - bluetooth that stays paired even after an os upgrade
    4 - battery life that lets me skip charging for close to a week and I can still read emails and make calls
    5 - push email. BB email will spoil you. I have email on my itouch, and while the reader is less "primitive" than my BB, it doesn't work as seamlessly. RIM does email right.
    6 - light sensor. dims the display in dim conditions and brightens it in daylight. this is part of the long battery life.
    7 - stability.

There are some down sides with Blackberry. The Java based OS is strange about the way it manages memory and it doesn't play well with sdhc expansion cards. It only uses them for photos, documents and music. Not apps. Blackberry does not play nicely with OSX. There are rumors that RIM will finally get around to releasing software to support Mac users this fall. Still, I'm absolutely delighted with my 8830 and for this reason the BB Tour is about tied with the Pre as my possible next phone.

7. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I seem to be rowing against the tide here, but I think the Bold is the best BlackBerry I've ever used, and a smartphone that is worthy of consideration.

Its design is good, with a decent screen and an exceptionally nice keyboard. The trackball makes me wish more devices had one.

The music and video players are top-notch, and DocumentsToGo is quite nice.

I understand the complaints with the built-in web browser, but Opera Mini is free and this browser is a very good alternative.

To sum up, the Bold is the first BlackBerry I think I could make my only phone.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

Matt, a better device is always coming down the pike. That's why I generally don't recommend that people wait for the Next Big Thing.

This situation is different. AT&T is still asking $300 for the Bold, many months after its debut. If this smartphone was more realistically priced -- $200 or less -- I'd say you should jump on it. As it is, I think you should wait.

-

9. rkevwill

rkevwill Mobile Deity

When I was looking for a new phone, I considered the bold. Frankly, I didn't worry too much about the price. Considering the initial investment is really the smallest price we pay for these phones over a couple of years. Anyway, I wanted a smaller phone myself. And.....in our area, ATT is not what I would consider the best carrier, or plan. Meanwhile, after using the curve for a while, I realize I could use a bit larger screen, and like the bold's keyboard better. Sprint is, or has, the Tour now, which is supposed to have a better keyboard than the curve. Also, sprint says their next smart phones will all have wifi. Not that I really need it that much. Anyway, I will keep my curve for a year or so, then see whats available at Sprint in mid 2010.

Ed, I certainly agree with your comment. The keyboard is better, the screen is better on the bold, than anything else. Its a bit big, but......hey, my eyes are not what they used to be either. I could get used to the size.

10. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

My main issue with all Blackberry's is the "trackball"-type control. My brother has a Blackberry Curve and the trackball doesn't work very well moving left. I think the "optical pad" will be an improvement. Again, no rush, my 680 works fine.