Opinion on Blackberry Bold

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by Matt J, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

What exactly does the BlackBerry Bold not do well? From what I've seen, it has a beautiful hi-density screen, a great form factor, excellent processing power, movie and video capability, great battery life.... Where does it fall down? Better I know now than find out later...

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I haven't used a Bold specifically. However, traditionally the BBs fall down on web browsing (although that's less and issue with Opera Mini available), the polish and depth of their multimedia functions, and the availability of third party software.

3. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

There are a number of people here who use BBs and are quite happy, although they tend to be more focused on push email and battery life. I haven't used the Bold, but I do have a BB 8820 from work and I have to say the main letdown is the lack of any real features in the PIM software and how hard it is to navigate the calendar with a trackball as your only interface (no dpad). Don't get me wrong, the trackball is actually very nice, but the UI of many apps, but particularly the calendar, have not really been designed in a way that makes a trackball control the most efficient.

Hopefully BHers that are happier with their BBs will show up. You might also want to spend some time over at Crackberry to get input from people who are more fanatical about BBs.

They are the perfect email device, if that is your main need.

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

Oh. If only I'd been here last week. Well I could have. We had high speed internet in our hotel room, but we were vacationing.

I have the BB8830. It is a fine upgrade from any Garnet device. The trackball is superior to the touchscreen for my usage because it is intrinsically one-handed. No stylus to look for or fumble with. No fingerprints on my nice screen. No unintentional taps by my cheek while I'm on a call. OTOH, the trackball can be frustrating at times for nagivating long emails or web pages but I still like it.

I never picked up or tried the Android phone, but I could never see myself going back to Tmo with the pitiful service I had with them. As an upgrade from any PalmOD (Garnet) device, there are several very good alternatives...

These are listed in random order. Please don't infer a ranking...
    1-iPhone
    2-Blackberry
    3-any WinMo phone
    4-any Maemo or Symbian phone
    5-any Android phone
    6-the Pre

There are pluses and minuses with all of the above. Iphone ties you to EvilEmpire][, WinMo ties you to EvilEmpireI, Maemo/Symbian and Android models are GSM only and CDMA rules the cell phone roost in North America, Blackberry offers the most flexibility of carriers and models and may give you the most overall flexibility. The down side of BB is the phone is email centric so the browser and PIM apps are not "world class". The Pre ties you to Sprint which has decent coverage in some areas but is a distant third to Verizon in terms of network performance.

First of all I say wait. Verizon has a new BB model coming this year: Tour. Verizon has a webOS model coming early next year. This might be your best upgrade path from a 680 as it is designed by Palm and may offer the most seamless transition. If you are with a GSM carrier and are happy with your phone performance, then you can choose between Android, iPhone and BB Bold. Of course there are dozens of very nice WinMo models available on all carriers, if you like that sort of thing.

The bottom line is that if you must switch today, while I would avoid the Storm, I recommend BB for simplicity, reliability, email performance and battery life. IMHO, the BB Bold is an excellent choice for you. The others might suit your needs if your priorities differ from mine.

5. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

I am mostly with rok. Same... Palm lover who hesitantly (at first) moved to BB.

I use the 8320 (Curve I).

I am VERY picky with my devices. I want it all. I have to have a good phone, and I need a device that enhances my work and lifestyle. That means multimedia (music, pics, movies), Documents (free D2G), and the ability to maintain social networks (Twitter, blogging, FB, IM etc.). Toss in wi-fi, syncability with Google, Bible programs and Splashwallet, and I am a happy camper. Now, with a Freedom BT puck and TeleNav software for GPS functionality, I truly have a complete, all-in-one device.

I can run everything I need to do on a daily basis from the palm of my hand. With the free third-party Bolt Browser (which BLOWS away Opera Mini, IMHO), and I can even do more when the built-in browser is inadequate.

There was a time that BB was so far behind in terms of third-party apps it was embarrassing. Now, I find that a lot of mainstays I had when I used Palm are available for BB. HanDBase is a biggie.

I'm sure you can tell I am a fan of the Google compatibility. My biggest gripe with BB OS was the lack of a DateBk-like app that synced with a desktop companion (like on Palm). Now, after a computer wipe or two, I thoroughly buy into having the ability to have back ups on external servers. This is where Google Calendar helps. With the Google Sync app, I always have my contacts and calendars synced. I can run Google Voice from my device with GVDialer (this app is my current favorite). Perfect combo!

Games? Oh yeah... Astraware, Handmark, etc are spitting out titles.

I could go on and on. I think that BBs have their weaknesses, but they are amongst the strongest devices out there.

My test is this: pick a device. Now, let's see what you can do on that device that I cannot do on mine.

Now, let me do the same...

I am yet to find a device that clearly beats mine. Yet. When that changes, I will get it.

6. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

Thanks for all the opinions. I have heard some rumblings that the BlackBerry OS is old and "clunky". When I think "clunky", I think Palm OS Garnet. From what I can tell with the limited time I used the Bold, the BlackBerry OS 4.6 was pretty snappy and capable. It could multitask just fine.

Any thoughts on this issue of "clunkiness"?

7. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I think some of it falls under the "to each their own" category. The BBs aren't all that flashy compared to an iPhone and they certainly lack some of the depth of some WinMo apps, particularly in the PIM area. But you've handled a BB Bold and seen what it can do and have a positive response. I think you should just go with your instincts. BBs are solid little devices.

Garnet is clunky, but we put up with it so long because a) it was simple and b) it had (and, in fact, still does) the best organizer and database/list apps of any platform. Unfortunately, it wasn't the PDA that died. The pocket organizer is what died. I love my Nokia, but for serious organization, everything out there is a compromise.

8. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

Well said...

9. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I agree with Hook. Some of it is just personal opinion. I don't go for the Blackberries because I like more customization, more depth, and a broader range of third party apps.

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

The Tour will be out next week and offers 4x the flash storage (256meg) of my 8830 (64meg) and while still less than the bold (1gig) the Tour offers a hot swappable microsdhc card slot. I'm tempted...