Opinion on Blackberry Bold

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by Matt J, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

I am a long time Palm user that currently owns a Treo 680. This time is fast approaching to move into something new and I have been seriously considering a Blackberry Bold. I've decided to leave Palm/Palm OS behind and I certainly have no interest in the Palm Pre.

For all those Bold users out there, I was hoping you could share some opinions of the product. Any problems or deficiencies? How is battery life? User interface? PIM's?

I am a user of GMail and was wondering if it would be easy enough to have my GMail pushed to the Bold?

I have read the Brighthand (and other) reviews, but I would like some real user opinions that have used it for more than a couple of hours.

Thanks!

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I can't comment specifically on the Bold, however, on Blackberries in general... I personally have never been too impressed. They're very simple machines. Actually, you might not find that disappointing, coming from the 680. But there are better and more advanced devices available. You might want to look to one of the current or upcoming Android models if you're into GMail.

3. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

I think I'm actually looking for simplicity. I need something quick, stable, great battery life and with a good keyboard. I want to get away from touch screens and finger-friendly this-and-that. I really need a business machine that can go days between charges if need be and can open all major document formats with great screen resolution. I want to be able to operate the phone one-handed.

4. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

MattJ, The G1, as nice as it is, may not be for you. 1) It is a two handed device. 2) It is only on TMobile. My sister-in-law has one and loves it but she is not a power user.

My brother is a big BB and Gmail fan. He does everything on GMail. He runs his entire Law Practice with Gmail and his BB Curve 8900. He does not do a lot of surfing. Mainly email, text, GTalk, and occasional browsing for information on the internet. The 8900 has a very nice browser for a BB. It is the same browser as the Bold which I have seen and it is very nice also. Much better IMO than your 680. I have heard a few negative comments about the Bold battery life. I think the Bold battery life is much better than the iPhone or Pre, but nothing like the BB8830, which is legendary.

The Bold and the 8900 are the newest BB that have a good browser to try and compete in the Prosumer market, while keeping BB quality. If you are into GMail, a Bold or 8900 will connect/sync with GMail with no problem.

If you are looking for just a good "work" tool, I do not think you could go wrong with the Bold or the 8900. I personally like the Bold a little more.

5. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

The whole concept of touching a screen with my fingers just doesn't sit right with me. Having to use two hands to do the most basic functions seem counter-intuitive. I have always commended Palm OS for it's one-handed simplicity. I think the BlackBerry OS is intuitive enough for this purpose.

I know the BlackBerry OS well enough, my concern in mainly with third-party apps like Docs to Go and issues like battery life.

6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I'm not quite sure I understand why using fingers rather than a stylus is such a problem. If anything, it often makes my 5800 more one handed. I basically can hold the 5800 in my palm while manipulating screen objects with the thumb of the same hand that is holding it.

I can certainly understand the appeal of a hardware keyboard, although I personally prefer my onscreen one, and that is a very good reason for going to BB. There are other reasons as well.

But, ultimately, finger screen or no, one-handedness is in the design of the particular device.

7. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

D2G for BB is available but it is not cheap. It comes with Word To Go and Slide Show To Go, I think.:confused:

Check out this link for battery life on the Bold.

8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

MattJ, if one-handedness is your big concern, have you looked at Symbian? The E71x is very cheap on AT&T, and it is a VERY one-handed device.

9. Matt J

Matt J Mobile Deity

Not really. My carrier (Rogers) isn't big on Symbian. I am eligible for an upgrade in a week... so I will do a little more research, but it looks like I will leave Palm for BlackBerry after all these years. I just expected so much more from the Pre and the new "Palm OS"...and was really let down.

As a side note, I got a e-mail from Palminfocenter advertising a "Classic Store Grand Opening Sale" for "MotionApps Classic Certified Titles" for the Pre. How pathetic. Not a single native app, but a blowout sale for Classic apps...

10. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Well, the BB would probably do that. But by "simple" I mean it does email well, but everything else... enh.

I'm much the same way about ease of use and one-handedness, which is why I also stick with non-touchscreen devices (still Samsung) but the BBs just haven't done it for me.