Opera Mini on My Tmo Blackberry Curve 8320

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by eric0668, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric0668

eric0668 Mobile Evangelist

I downloaded Opera per someones request and I love it, it really it the answer to iPhone saying they are the ones that have the entire browser

I have a few questions

Can someone answer 1 or all of them. thanks

1. How can i make it default so that when I went to downlaod something it had to ask permission to open the regular browser. I want it to be the main one

2. Do I use the http or socket (what is socket)

3. Is there a way to get rid of it telling me it is trying to access low level ... every first time it comes in

4. How can I bring my favorites in from the BB browser

5. Why when , with regards to number 3, if I hit No by mistake, it locks up and I have to do a battery reboot

thanks
    Eric

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

1. Because it's Java, it's very hard to make it the default browser. I know this is possible on Windows Mobile, but I don't know if it can be done on a Blackberry.

2. I have OMini on all of my devices set to Socket and it works fine. I'm not quite sure what this distinction is either, but it may have something to do with proxies.

3. This would depend on the settings for your Java. I'd try poking around in the device config and see if there's security settings for apps, and set OMini to minimum security.

4. I don't think there's any way to import favorites from another browser.

5. Sounds like a bug in the BB Java implementation.

3. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I don't have a BB Curve, but I do have the BB Pearl via T-Mobile.

You cannot make it default browser. Sorry. It's a java application, and runs in its own environment, which cannot be directly called via outside resource.

Use Socket. HTTP is the backup when socket fails.

#3. ??? I have not seen that on my Pearl, sorry.

Copy your favorites from your BB browser into an email on your BB. Send it to yourself and open the email using Opera Mini. Navigate to each page, and set it as a favorite in Opera Mini. That's about as easy as you can get it.

#5 Not sure about this either, as I don't experience this problem.

4. eric0668

NUMBER 4...U are good

thanks. But I was told on my previous cell, the dash a wm phone, you can make opera default. so in a wm OS a java based program can be called by an outside resource Or would they also get a prompt there as well?

thanks again
    Eric

5. eric0668

Copy your favorites from your BB browser into an email on your BB. Send it to yourself and open the email using Opera Mini. Navigate to each page, and set it as a favorite in Opera Mini. That's about as easy as you can get it.

Thought it may work. But it unfortunately wouldn't let me select the link in yahoo mail when in Opera. maybe it is dependent on the mail. I will try my comcast or msn perhaps. I don't think so ???

6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

You can't select a link and copy it within Opera. You would have to navigate to the link in Opera, bookmark it, backtrack to your email, and select the next link, follow it, bookmark it, etc.

I used my isp's email and it worked ok. :)

7. eric0668

but of my 15-20 browser bookmarks I would be typing in EVERY bookmark then still and these are not simple www.yahoo.com etc... they are more like the browser for espn.com but the baseball section, for example

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.