Opera Mini available for Palm

Discussion in 'Palm' started by luigi, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

I just saw, browsing on Palminfocenter, that Opera Mini is now oficially available for Palm (see the history)here

I wonder if somebody is brave enough to test it on the LD, and see if downloads are possible...due to the known Blazer errors...

Luigi

2. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Link to this thread to avoid confusion. :)

3. killerfish

killerfish Mobile Consultant

PRC installed and worked without issue for me. Just point blazer to http://mini.opera.com. It recognizes as palm os and provides proper PRC. I got lucky and Blazer's download decided to work for a change.

I actually MUCH prefer Blazer if the dang downloads issue was fixed. Haven't had time to test downloads, etc. with it yet. Will later tonight.

4. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

And for anyone who is curious, Opera mini doesn't run on its own. You must also install the IBM Java Virtual Machine (JVM) prcs. I tried installing them on the LD hard drive, but it won't work from there. Both the JVM and Opera must be installed in main handheld memory.

I just clicked the CNN link supplied on the main page and I'm definitely impressed at the loading speed. Does anyone know a way to set the 5 way button to scroll the page rather than jump from link to link?

5. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

I installed both Opera mini .prc file and Java VW from Palm web page.
    But, opening Opera Mini, once it ask me to chech my connection, selecting yes from a menu (where it asks if Opera can use airtime), and connect to my wireless router, it hangs on a "testing" bar, on the bottom of the screen. I can't do anything, exit, go to home, nothing. I soft resetted after a couple of minutes waiting...

Any hint?

Luigi

6. killerfish

Hmm.. I had same prompt, but it worked without a hitch. Like you, I'm also using Sun's JVM. I wish I could help more, but I really didn't have any issues.

This is definitely a complaint I have with the device: 2 people perform the exact same steps. It works for one and not for the other. How can that be?

7. Hot Pink Mamba

Hot Pink Mamba Mobile Consultant

do you like it better than the blazer?? how do they compare?

8. SoSII

SoSII Mobile Deity

havent you heard, the LifeDrive has 'personality'!!:D

9. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

I do not like opera mini better than blazer. I am encouraged that another browser exsits (competetion is a good thing) but right now blazer is my browser of choice.

There is a good review of opera mini here

10. killerfish

Agreed, for me, Blazer is much better. Only nag I have on Blazer right now is file downloads sometimes not working. It's only one bug, but it's a BIG one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.