Old Tungsten E palm issues

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Matt100, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Matt100

Matt100 Newbie

Hi, I have acquired an old Tungsten E palm from a relative. I would say it is at least 4 years old, and does have some ware on it. The device seems to work good while plugged in to the Charger, and the symbol shown at the top of the screen while plugged in is a battery with a lightning bolt through it. I have let it charge for as long as possible but when I unplug it the device shuts off and does not turn back on. Even after Pushing the power button, I have tried the soft reset and even the hard reset, warm reset..... And still nothing. Right now I am trying the battery sync where I plugged it in to the charger and pushed the reset button, and will let it sit for a few hours plugged in.

Is there anyway to fix this? I have a feeling that it might be the battery but right now I do not have the money to buy a new battery let alone the know abouts or tool to solder the battery wires. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

2. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

The battery is almost certainly dead. They only last so long, and the T|E is not the latest model. It's probably closer to 10 years old. You can get batteries pretty cheap on ebay. I don't know how hard the replacement of a T|E battery is, but there should be tutorials on the interwebtubez, and Teh Google should be able to find them for you. I wish I had a better answer, but I think you need a new battery.

3. Matt100

Matt100 Newbie

Thanks for the reply SGosnell, I was afraind it was the battery. For this perticular model the battery needs to bee soldered in, and the cheapest battery I have seen for it is in the $40 mark. So it will have to wait until I can send it in some where I guess. If the battery is dead would it still display the charging symbol while plugged into the Wall charger?

4. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Yes, all the lightning bolt tells you is that the battery is receiving charge, not that it can hold it. ;)

If you want someone to install a new battery at reasonable rates, I would contact Palm Dr. (Chris Short).

PalmDR.com, PDA Repair Done Right!

5. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

All the lightning bolt tells you is that external power is connected. It says nothing about the state of the battery's charge.

A quick look at ebay shows many Tungsten E batteries for sale from $4.79 to $7.89, with free shipping. But if you prefer to send it to have it done, you'll probably have to pay $30 to $40 plus shipping. That price is for the labor more than for the battery.

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Similar prices on Amazon

7. Matt100

Matt100 Newbie

Hey thanks for the help guys, I went ahead and got a $4 battery off of ebay, I got it soldered in using a hand held radio shack solder tool and the palm is working good! But now I am on to a new issue which is Hotsyncing. How can I connect this dino to the pc to transfer files over?

8. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

Knowing what operating system you have on your computer will be helpful in answering your question. Such as windows XP, Vista, or 7 and is it a 32bit or 64bit Windows operating system or do you have an apple computer.

9. Matt100

Matt100 Newbie

Hey Reb1 and thanks for the reply, sorry for the late posting. Well Right now I have windows 7 OS, but I did find an old emachine laptop packed away that is running windows XP and was able to connect the tungsten E and have since put some apps on it. I have another question about the battery, I purchased a $5 battery off of ebay and got it soldered on just fine. But it does not last long enough for my taste. I would say out of continuous use I get about 3 hours batt life from it. Is this normal? And is there a longer lasting battery I can use for this device? Thanks for the help guys!

10. philpalm

philpalm Mobile Deity

Sometimes a battery will get better as it breaks in. I use my Palm devices for reading and set it off on IR receiving and low light setting. Battery life is a new subject and should start another topic....