Okay, I'm finally tempted by a Smartwatch

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Hook, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

First of all, it's a watch. It then adds in embedded smart functions. It has 25+ days* battery life on a single charge. Most of all, it's simple. Sends data to either iOS or Android, but neither on watch itself.

https://www.withings.com/fi/en/steel-hr-sport/shop

[​IMG]

*EDIT: apparently even I didn't believe this and mistyped hours originally.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I like the style, I love that it's steel, and the battery life sounds very good. It would tempt me, except that it can't control audio players. After my very brief stint with a smartwatch I realized that this is one of the most important features I need in a wrist device.

I think I'm half-consciously conditioning myself to accept a "removable" watch: I've been leaving my Casio dumbwatch almost every night on the nightstand for no real reason (it has an internal solar-rechargeable battery) for the past wo months. Before, I'd never remove my watch except to clean it. If only the Steel HR could control my music...

lelisa13p, scjjtt, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Not a use I really have, but I can see the attraction, but not for my context. I mostly listen to music at home, on my computer. The only time I listen to music on my phone is on my commute and I don't usually change much-- I'm usually napping. I can't listen to music at work and, in fact, my smartphone has to be turned off and stored in a locker (and one of the attractions of this watch is I would be allowed to wear it-- most smartwatches would have to go into the locker too). So, stylish, a face I can read in bright sunlight, great battery life, some nice monitors. Perfect. :vbwink:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Based on the thread title alone, I half expected that you'd watched the Apple keynote last week and, well, you know... :vbwink:

I drooled a little. :vbtongue:

RickAgresta, scjjtt, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

This seems less like a "Smartwatch" and more like a much nicer looking fitness tracker. Not that I'm belittling it at all -- even a nicer looking fitness tracker is quite the feat if you've looked at fitness trackers, which are typically plasticy and primitive looking, reminding me of my very first LCD watch. I'm remembering the Withings name for some reason that has to do with my three Smartwatches that I've owned. I'm thinking I had to use a Withings app to get my Google Fit data synced to something.

That's a really nice looking fitness watch, though. I really like how it seems to be for that purpose and they didn't try to throw in a bunch of extra stuff on top of it (y'know, like Android Wear did).

6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

The brand name sounded familiar to me as well, thought it had something to do with Nokia. After googling, apparently they sold themselves to nokia a couple of years ago and just bought themselves back this year. And that is kind of an odd sentence.

So it's not exactly like getting back into Nokia for an old fan, but maybe there's some trace DNA left over?

7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

For me, I want to receive some notifications on my watch and have the ability to send a quick respond to texts or the one email account, from my watch. My Pebble still does this perfect PLUS I can control the music volume if I like (hardly use).

Of course, with my ZenWatch 2, I can even answer phone calls from the watch, which has come in handy a time or two.

It is a nice looking watch!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, raspabalsa, Hook and 2 others like this.
  8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Curiosity prompts me to ask: when answering in that manner, do you speak into your wristwatch like Dick Tracy did in the comics? :vbsmile:

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

The brand sounded familiar to me, too, but I was just thinking of Werther's. ;) Some people think fitness; others think candy. :D

Hook, lelisa13p, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I wish I was that cool. I haven't done it often so it is more of a look of trying to figure it out.

I have made calls or texts more by speaking into the watches than my phone. Of course the Pebble can only send text messages that I speak. It works perfectly outdoors or in the midst of a lot of noise - it doesn't work in a quiet room however - weird.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

Hook, Mi An, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.