Oh, yes - I got my iPhone 6S today!

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by jigwashere, Jul 6, 2016.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I certainly agree that time is valuable, but I've had issues with Verizon customer service, too. In this particular instance, I suffered about two hours, but am saving well over $660 vs comparable device/plan through VZW. That's not insignificant.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

headcronie, r0k and RickAgresta like this.
  2. r0k

r0k Dazed

I've never been happy with their pricing, but I've had excellent experience with Verizon customer service. My company uses Verizon and I always get put through to their "enterprise" support staff even for my personal account. On At&t, the enterprise staff was just as clueless as the level one support staff.

One thing I did dislike about Verizon is they trained both their sales and support staff over the years to push their "droid" phones even after they started selling the iphone. My niece worked in their Detroit call center and she used to sing the praises of all things droid like she had been sipping the cool aid from birth. To me this was foolish to push android over ios despite the possibility a given customer might prefer their experience on ios over android. It gave me the impression Verizon was out of touch. More recently, when I came back to Verizon and brought my own iPhone, they were competent and had it up and running in minutes (after At&t finally unlocked it).

I tried adding international calling to my Verizon plan. Something was wrong with their web site and their iOS app and no matter how many times I tried, it didn't go through. In fact it still doesn't work when I went to take a look at things this morning. But when I called Verizon customer service, waiting in in my car in line for Canadian customs, Verizon had it added to my plan by the time I got up to the booth. They were efficient and within seconds I received a text confirming I had an international plan.

With that phone call to customer service, I avoided their infamous $15 a megabyte international roaming that might have cost as much as a small car for one day's use. The only glitch was that on the EC Row expressway, I lost data just as I was approaching a turn and my nav went off into the weeds "rerouting" while I debugged LTE settings to get back online. Not something I should have had to deal with while driving.

I don't expect this to happen again now that I have the automatic $2 a day plan on my line whenever I leave the US. As we drove around rural parts of Ontario, I noticed my phone switching from Rogers to Telus and back again from time to time, but because of my previous experience with Verizon customer service I'm sure nothing shocking will show up on my bill. And even if it does, I expect them take it right off again. I went through 75MB that day and at $15 a MB it could have shown up as a whopping $1125 surprise.
    upload_2016-7-12_10-36-54.png

The other day I got in an internet chat with Verizon because I was charged a late fee for a payment that should have been automatic. I got distracted on another tab and then I got pulled away from my computer for a while. By the time I came back, the agent had simply refunded me the fee and left the chat open so I could see what they had done.

I've dealt with customer service for every carrier and I'd rank Verizon number. I'd say that At&t, Sprint and Tmo all in a frantic race to see who can be worse.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  3. jigwashere

I'll be heading to Manitoba soon, driving right past Gladstone's Happy Rock statue that you have in your profile, so I'll be thinking of you. :)

I just signed my wife and me up for Sprint's free global plan which gives us free calls and texts in Canada. We'll also get 1Gb data. I also added T-Mobile to my wife's iPad, so she'll get some free data while we travel.

My wife just texted me that she loves her new iPhone. I'm very happy/relieved. So far, with the limited time I've had it, I'm not all that head over heels in love with mine. I expect my attitude to improve with time and experience, but I don't expect to jump from Android.

I let my son take my corporate phone with him on the 5 hour drive up to Bemidji. I just turned on the hotspot, and he was able to stream Netflix on his Nexus 7 the whole way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, EdmundDantes and r0k like this.
  4. jigwashere

I just realized the Happy Rock doesn't show up in r0k's profile anymore. :( It can be found along the Yellowhead Highway at Gladstone, Manitoba:

[​IMG]

lelisa13p, r0k, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I thought r0k's avatar showed his jeep climbing over the Happy Rock!

EDIT: ...and that he had just cropped the image a bit too much

lelisa13p and r0k like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

The jeep one is the one I've always seen I think.

r0k likes this.
  7. r0k

r0k Dazed

I don't know what happened to the happy rock pic. It was part of my bh profile for a while but I never actually made it my avatar.

jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  8. jigwashere

I wasn't referring to his avatar. In the member profile, there used to be a picture. I guess it's not available in Xenforo.

r0k likes this.
  9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I just woke up on the floor of my home office, because when I just now saw this thread and thought you had replaced your Nexus 6 with an iPhone and I fainted.

10. jigwashere

My mother-in-law's car was broken into a few days ago. I think they were going after the GPS unit that was visible through the window, and unfortunately they found her purse that had been hidden underneath the center console. I'd like to get my hands on the miserable SOB. In addition to all the clean up, getting the window replaced, closing accounts, getting new license and cards, and all the other hassles, the feeling of invasion and vulnerability is very difficult for her to shake. Grrr!!! Anyway, I bring it up in this particular thread because the thief also got the iPhone car charger which my wife had left in there. If only that had been the worst of it! I still have a few companies to contact for my MIL to change credit cards on auto-payments, but hopefully all the logistical issues will be resolved shortly.

I got a lot of set up related to work completed on my new iPhone. There are still a few security gaps related to a mixup with a hardware token, and I'm thinking some apps will get abandoned if I'm going to be continually forced to enter complicated authentication codes. In the end, I'll be happy if I can quickly pull up my work phone to check appointments so I can better coordinate my work and personal calendars, dial more easily into conference calls, and occasionally use the phone for access when I'd rather be away from the confines of my office.

My 11-year old daughter is spending the night at my MIL's tonight, and she Facetimed me a couple of times just for fun. I'll keep the phone handy for a little while longer to see if she's up late and wants to say good night. I think I have all other notifications turned off -- I absolutely do not want to get email, instant messaging, or other notifications.

I can say I'm still not a fan of the iPhone. I am trying to keep an open mind. I got incredibly frustrated with using some of the apps because I couldn't figure out how to navigate them. It turned out that I just needed to swipe right along the bottom of the screen, but there is NO WAY that's intuitive. I mentioned this to one of my coworkers, and she completely agreed. The only way she figured it out was to Google instructions.

Did you know there's no way to uninstall all the pre-installed apps? That's crazy! At least Apple agrees with me and will change that in the next OS update. Of course, won't be able to take advantage of that until the enterprise approves it. :( For now, I just dumped everything I don't want into a folder. I'm down to a single home page, which is nice.