Oh, yes - I got my iPhone 6S today!

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by jigwashere, Jul 6, 2016.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Oh, yeah, baby! I'm an iGuy. :D

I recently converted from contractor to FT employee, which means I need to carry a company phone. The choice was between a Blackberry and a 16GB iPhone 6S; Verizon vs AT&T. I chose the Verizon iPhone 6S (Gold). My wife has the soon-to-be activated 64GB iPhone 6S from Sprint, so it'll be nice for me to learn on my own phone and offer her better support.

First, the accessories:
    • Verizon iPhone Travel Charger. It's actually very nice. The cable is black, heavy duty and a good length.
    • Verizon Car Charger. It's a one-piece charger/cable, so it's a one-trick pony. It probably won't get used.
    • Plantronics M70 BT headset. I'll see if my wife wants it.
    • Some silly 3-pack of screen protectors. I put one one, then quickly ripped it off. Junk.
    • Otterbox Commuter case. It's okay. My wife got one from Spigen that I like, but my choices through work weren't that great.
    Next, the plan: Um, I didn't pay a lot of attention. I guess I get a bunch of minutes and text and unlimited data. The real coup was that I requested hotspot -- and it was approved! My coworkers asked and were denied. I didn't ask. I just ordered it and the boss approved it. :D

What else? Cell phone coverage of any kind is poor to non-existent in the office. Verizon is probably the worst, along with AT&T. Sprint is poor. I think T-Mobile the best. Anyway, there is spotty WiFi in the office so I jumped through a bunch of hoops to get my iPhone connected to it. Unfortunately, the signal strength of the WiFi is so poor in my area, that the iPhone can't pick it up!! Useless garbage.

So, why have a corporate phone that doesn't work in the office? Well, the idea is that I'll be able to make/receive business calls, access corporate emails, and attend virtual meetings through Lync while away from the office. I do work from home 1 day a week, so it might come in handy.

I still have a lot of setup to do. I need to install all the corporate junk. I also need to create an iCloud account. It has to be connected to my personal email rather than corporate email account, but that's okay.

Will I carry 2 phones to work? Not likely. The iPhone can sit in my car or backpack all day long. I'll only use it away from the office. I won't carry the iPhone when away from the office, either - except when I have a specific need. This should give me a bit more flexibility about when and where I work - not intrude on my personal/family life.

r0k, lelisa13p, headcronie and 5 others like this.
  2. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This Super Moderator

Congratulations! I consider it the world's most advanced phone - at least for the next two months. :)

r0k, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

You're my new personal hero, jig! You're an example to follow for the rest of us suffering under the boot of corporate hierarchy :D :D

btw, congratulations on you new phone!

r0k, scjjtt, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

between no signal and unlimited data (and the fact that it's not your dime), I guess it doesn't matter if the device automagically switches from a non-ideal wifi signal to cellular data, but since it's not clear to me if your wife is in the same situation, you might want to check that setting on her new phone, if it's on the jigwashere_family_plan.:vbwink:

jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yes! On your wife's iPhone (if personal), go to Settings > Cellular > Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and > Turn OFF Wi-Fi Assist. It's a data hog and doesn't work as well in Real Life as it did on paper. :vbrolleyes: Probably would be good for you to do the same.

Also, last month Son and I found out the hard way that News is also a data hog. Blew thru data plan in a week. :vbmad: Settings > News > Turn OFF everything (Notifications setting on that page and all 3 toggles.) Some surprising good "news" is that AT&T sent me a text today refunding the automatic $15/1 GB data overage charge as a gesture of Good Will, without me even asking. :thumbsup: :vbcool: :vbsmile:

r0k, scjjtt, jigwashere and 1 other person like this.
  6. jigwashere

My wife uses very little data, but thanks for the suggestion! She is on an individual plan with Sprint, paying $40 to meet her needs. I may switch her to Ting.

My plan is paid by The Man. It absolutely does not work inside the office. No matter. We do have an absolutely beautiful park on the campus with fountains, pools, benches and shade. Maybe I'll take my laptop outside and take advantage of the hotspot!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

r0k and jigwashere like this.
  8. jigwashere

I haven't had any time to set up my iPhone for work. I downloaded a list of corporate apps on it, but I'm not sure what they all do and if I really need them. :rolleyes: I've been very busy both at work and at home, but hopefully I'll be able to carve out time time soon.

As I mentioned, I'm happy to get some experience with the iPhone so I can give better support to my wife and her iThings.

I've been trying to activate my wife's iPhone over the past few days. What a PITA!!! I purchased the phone online at Sprint, subsidizing it by renewing the 2-year contract on my SERO account. I was unable to activate it on my wife's account through the website, so called customer service. They told me the SIM was activated on my SERO account and couldn't be switched. All I needed to do was go into a corporate store, have them install a new, free SIM card, and all would be good. I got this same information through online chat as well as when I called employee services (which is where I'm redirected because of my SERO account).

Yesterday, I went into a corporate Sprint store, and the guy refused to put in a new SIM card. "This phone already has a SIM and I can activate it on your wife's phone number - no problem." An hour-an-a-half later, along with a call "to the people upstairs who know all and can do all," the phone wasn't activated. Unfortunately, he was the only one in the store at the time, so I couldn't get anyone else to step in and help. He claimed the phone was locked to my account and cannot be unlocked for 2 years. Idiot.

I went home, popped the SIM out, went to a different Sprint store where they popped in a new SIM, and within 20 minutes everything was activated AND transferred onto the new phone. I just called the manager at the first Sprint store and let him know what happened. Not only was the guy disparaging of the other employees (calling them yahoos), but he wasted hours of my time and refused to follow my simple instructions while spewing bad information.

According to the manager, as I suspected, all I really had to do was activate the iPhone 6s under my SERO account, then reactivate the Nexus 6. The SIM was locked to the phone number I purchased it under, but that's done to prevent someone from intercepting the phone in the mail and activating it themselves. Once the SIM is activated on one account, it can be reactivated on a different account. At that point, I should have been able to activate the iPhone under my wife's number (which is also my account).

r0k, RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Please see my signature. :vbrolleyes:

Glad that you got it worked out. :vbsmile:

r0k, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  10. r0k

r0k Dazed

Wow. I got a headache reading that whole SIM vs SERO vs Idiot story. Wow. I like saving money but my time is worth something, too. I think I'll stick with Verizon for a while longer, even though their prices are creeping up.

jigwashere likes this.