ogg vs. mp3

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by DLDavis, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLDavis

DLDavis Mobile Deity

I've been using ogg to record and playback talk radio on my t3. So far so good...but I need to fast forward through commercials one minute per button push...or maybe 3 minutes per. I have a few questions:

1. Does ogg save me much more space than mp3?
    2. Is there an ogg or mp3 product that will do the fast forward 1 to 3 minutes per button push?
    3. If there is such a program...can I use it on my desktop to do the recording..for later download to my t3 sd-card?

Aeroplayer is what I'm using now..but it makes you hold the button down forever to get through a commercial...and half the time it turns the unit off during forwards...which makes for exciting driving at 70mph trying to turn it back on, key in the password...and hit play.

Thanks

2. NicPalmer

NicPalmer Mobile Deity

Dunno about questions 2 or 3, but ogg definitely keeps its quality at lower resolutions than mp3.

If you have both at 128k, obviously they'll take up the same amount of space, but you'll be able to shrink the ogg to lower bitrates without sacrificing as much sound quality as you would by shrinking an mp3 (especially with talk radio).

3. Eternal Visitor

Eternal Visitor village idiot

in my music collection, ogg was 2 megs smaller overall (across 225 tracks) then wma when both are encoded at 48kbps, but ogg had heave artifacting and massive quality loss, but that's probably my fault, me going from wma 48 to ogg average 48

4. Pathdoc

Pathdoc Mobile Deity

This page might be helpful to you.

5. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

If you use TCPMP (it has a plug-in for OGG/Vorbis) you can customize the length of the fast forward time on the Prefs/General screen.
    Seems like putting it to 30 seconds would let you handle most commercial breaks, and I even tried some longer ones on mine and had it work properly. (Although it did seem to be off by a few seconds now and then. I imagine with a little experimentation you could get it to where you want it.)

6. DLDavis

DLDavis Mobile Deity

Thanks. Never heard of it. Will scan google 2c if I can find it.

7. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

If you use Pocket Tunes, Lance (of Palm Focus) has designed one or two skins with forward in set time increment buttons.

8. Pathdoc

Pathdoc Mobile Deity

Here is the link to download the most recent version of TCMP.

9. NicPalmer

NicPalmer Mobile Deity

The subject of TCPMP actually comes up pretty frequently in these forums (a quick search will turn up quite a few results), usually with glowing reviews.

Personally, it seems very nice except for the fact that it resets my Palm everytime I use it... :) Too bad, because it seems to be much better than MMPlayer.

10. Zaigrr

Zaigrr Mobile Evangelist

Do you have any idea why TCPMP is resetting your Palm? I have never had this happen with TCPMP, although it did happen with MMPlayer. You may want to try the latest edition and if you have continued problems, try the TCPMP forums. The lead programmer, Picard, is VERY good at solving issues.

-ZaiGRR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.