Odd news of the day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RickAgresta, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Hook

Hook Her Clack is Worse Than Her Bite

Gun resembling Lego toy sparks backlash in US

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57832053

[​IMG]

Probably everyone has already seen this, but I just stumbled into this today. I'm sure they knew they's get stopped and just did it to a)rile people up and B) create a rarity that they can sell for a gagillion bucks to collectors. :vbmad: :vbwink:

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

$73,499-Per-Guest World Cruise Sells Out In Less Than 3 Hours
    worldcruise.png
    Now, that's a long — and expensive — trip.

A 132-night "world cruise" sold out in under three hours, despite pandemic worries that have hobbled the cruise industry and steep prices that start at $73,499 per guest — and range up to $199,999 per person for a master suite.

Regent Seven Seas Cruises released the fares for sale at 8:30 a.m. ET Thursday. By 11 a.m., all the spots had been snapped up by people eager to spend more than four months on a cruise ship. The strong interest may be a positive sign for the cruise industry as it tries to rebound from the pandemic.

The voyage, which will span 34,500 nautical miles, includes 66 ports of call, as the Seven Seas Mariner will visit 31 countries and four continents. Passengers will also see 61 UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

The epic round-trip cruise will depart from Miami in January 2024. The company also has round-the-world cruises slated for 2022 and 2023, but it says the tickets for its 2024 trip sold out faster than for any other year.

High-end accommodations brought some of the most intense interest, the company says. That trend aligns with the new economic reality imposed by the pandemic, in which well-off customers have snapped up big-ticket products and services, and even homes, even as millions of other Americans struggle to pay for housing and essentials.

"Remarkably, we've found that interest hasn't just come from our past guests, and we have seen a strong increase in first-time travelers," said Jason Montague, Regent Seven Seas Cruises' president and CEO.

Many of those new customers, he adds, "were keen to book the higher end of our suites."

Living quarters aboard the Seven Seas Mariner range from the deluxe veranda suite, whose bed and adjacent sitting area resembles what you might find in a nice boutique hotel, to the master suite, which add a full dining table and living rooms with polished floors and armchairs.

Link to the rest of the over-indulgence:
    https://www.npr.org/2021/07/16/1016801922/world-cruise-ship-132-nights-sold-out

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I remember reading years ago about some people who essentially constantly cruise, spending only a couple of weeks on shore. Usually well-to-do retirees. Some even had designated suites, etc., mostly on long-term, around-the-world cruises like these.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

That reminds me of this thought provoking retirement option:

Nursing Home vs Cruising

I recently compared the cost of living in nursing homes vs cruise ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked cruise ship reservations and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day.
    1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day for 10 meals or room service (breakfast in bed every day of the week).
    3. The cruise ship swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.
    4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.
    5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.
    6. I will get to meet new people every 7 or 14 days.
    7. T.V. broken, light bulb out? Everything plus clean sheets and towels every day.
    8. If you fall and break you hip: nursing home/Medicare. Cruise ship/upgrade to a suite forever.

Yep, Cruising is for me!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

5. RickAgresta

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  7. RickAgresta

Disclaimer: yo, lelisa13p!!!! you probably won't want anything to do with the text in the 2nd spoiler, and I'm certain you'll want to take a pass on the first spoiler. raspabalsa, on the other hand.....
    An Australian Found a Boiled Giant Crab Spider In Their Kettle
    [​IMG]

Recently, a horrified Australian shared with the world that they had been drinking tea using boiled water from a kettle that contained a giant spider. Apparently, the arachnid had found its way into the kettle early on and remained inside after it was boiled with the water. Blissfully unaware of that fact, the Aussie has been drinking the water with the spider's essence for some time before finding the huge creepy crawler.

8. RickAgresta

3 People Hit By Iceberg Exhibit At Titanic Museum
    The injured guests were taken to a hospital Monday.
    PIGEON FORGE, Tenn. (AP) — The iceberg wall at the Titanic Museum Attraction in Tennessee collapsed and injured three guests, the museum’s owners said.
    Those harmed were taken to the hospital with unspecified injuries, Mary Kellogg Joslyn and John Joslyn wrote on the attraction’s Facebook page.
    “Needless to say, we never would have expected an incident like this to occur as the safety of our guests and crew members are always top of mind,” the owners said.
    The ship-shaped museum closed after the collapse but reopened for those with tickets on Tuesday, according to a post. The owners said the affected area has been blocked off, and they estimate it will take at least four weeks for the iceberg wall to be rebuilt.
    2021_08_08_17.07.59.png
    The Pigeon Forge Police Department said in a statement that the collapse appears to be accidental, the Knoxville News Sentinel reported.
    Cedar Bay Entertainment opened the attraction in 2010. The company has another Titanic museum in Branson, Missouri.
    Guests receive boarding passes containing the names of actual passengers or crew members who were aboard the British passenger liner that sank in 1912 on its maiden voyage after hitting an iceberg.
    Visitors can see more than 400 Titanic artifacts, shovel “coal” in the boiler room and feel 28-degree water through self-guided tours, according to the attraction’s website.
    Link:
    https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_610991d2e4b064678eee3c78

scjjtt likes this.
  9. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

'I love ewe:' Australian mourns beloved aunt with heart-shaped love ewes
    Aug. 26th, 2021

[​IMG]

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — An Australian farmer couldn't go to his aunt's funeral because of pandemic restrictions so he paid his respects with a novel alternative: dozens of sheep arranged in the shape of a love heart.

Drone-shot video of pregnant ewes munching barley in a paddock while unwittingly expressing Ben Jackson's affection for his beloved Auntie Deb was viewed by mourners at her funeral in the city of Brisbane in Queensland state this week.

Jackson was locked down at the time across a state border at his farm in Guyra in New South Wales state, 430 kilometers (270 miles) away.

"It took me a few goes to get it right ... and the final result is what you see. That was as close to a heart as I could get it," Jackson said on Thursday.
    Jackson started experimenting with making shapes with sheep to relieve the monotonous stress of hand-feeding livestock during a devastating drought across most of Australia that broke in the early months of the pandemic.

He discovered that if he spelled the names of his favorite musical bands with grain dropped from the back of a truck that the flock would roughly adopt the same shape for several minutes.

"It certainly lifted my spirits back in the drought," Jackson said.

In this image taken from video, sheep form the shape of a heart in a field in Guyra, northern New South Wales, Australia, Thursday, Aug. 5, 2021. Ben Jackson, a sheep farmer stuck in lockdown, was unable to attend his aunt's funeral, has honored her memory with the ultimate tribute, sheep organized in the shape of a love heart. (Ben Jackson via AP)

"This heart that I've done for my auntie, it certainly seems like it's had a bit of an effect across Australia," he added, referring to emotional social media responses.

Maybe we all just need to give ourselves a big virtual hug," he said.
    Jackson said he was lucky to have any grain left on his property after a mouse plague this year that followed the drought.

He continues to supplement the pregnant ewes' diet with grain to improve their condition before they give birth.

10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

What a sweetheart he is! :newpalm:

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.